What's new

Do I need a DTS-ES/SurrEX capable DVD player ? (1 Viewer)

AaronKok

Auditioning
I have a Onkyo 797 & a Pioneer 633A.
The receiver is ES & EX enabled. The DVD player only has DTS and DD stated on the specs.
I have tested 2 main DVDs for testing ES/EX, the Phantom Menace & Gladiator.
It seems that the receiver doesn't auto recognize the ES/EX flag. I have to switch it to ES/EX mode manually, I can't leave it at Auto. :confused:
What is the problem in my setup? The Audio is connected through the Coax.
Do i need a ES/EX enabled DVD player? Or is there any configuration need to be done on either equipment?
Thanks for helping a beginner out... :cool: :emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Welcome :D
The audio is on the Disc, not in the player. If you are using a digital connection (coax or optical), which you are, then the player simply relays whatever is encoded and selected on the disc. Viola
Sorry, can't answer regarding the auto detect.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
For whatever reason, certain Onkyo receivers have issues with DVDs flagged as DD-EX/DTS-ES. I have a 797 also, and it does the same thing. I just leave mine set to DD-EX/DTS-ES all the time. The side effect is that it simulates a rear center channel on DD/DTS discs that don't have one. This bothers some people because it's not true 6.1, but I find that it works nicely so I don't mind.

I'm not sure if it was ever determined whether this was a problem with the discs not being properly flagged, or the receiver not being able to read the flag properly.

AaronKok

Auditioning
Jay,

I don't know if it's my ears or what. But it seems if it is not a DD-EX/DTS-ES DVD, switching on the EX/ES will lower the volume and kind of soften the overall effect (Expecially when you use the THX option compared to the Surround). Have you experienced this before?

Charles M

Stunt Coordinator
This might be off the topic a little, but can anyone hear a difference if you use your receiver or DVD player to do the decoding(if your DVD has built-in decoder's)? I have a RP91 and I have a Denon avr1700 w/DD only. So I'm using the RP91 for DTS until I get A new receiver. I think it sounds a little better when I use the 6 channel input. Maybe it could be my ears deceiving me.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
From what I have read most built in decoders in DVD players don't do as good of a job as ones in receivers. I have always used the one in the receiver. What matters is what sounds better to you.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I don't know if it's my ears or what. But it seems if it is not a DD-EX/DTS-ES DVD, switching on the EX/ES will lower the volume and kind of soften the overall effect (Expecially when you use the THX option compared to the Surround). Have you experienced this before?
I have. I have the Onkyo 898, and I experience this very thing. Applying THX-EX does seem to lower the overall volume.

I don't mind it, because I turned this option on when I used the "Home Theater Tune-Up" disc by Sound and Vision to calibrate my system.

The solution: Turn up the volume a little. You'll not miss any effects.

Just my opinion.

AaronKok

Auditioning
I don't mind it, because I turned this option on when I used the "Home Theater Tune-Up" disc by Sound and Vision to calibrate my system.
Where did you get the disk? Is it from the mag or do i have to get it separately?
Also i can't hear the difference of the THX and normal surround other than the soften volume and the added extra channel on ES/EX disks. :confused:
Any Ideas??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks