Do I need a center spkr.?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Bill-Shan, May 13, 2003.

1. Bill-Shan

Bill-Shan Auditioning

I'm putting together my first home theater system. I have three NHT SB-2's that I was told could be used in the front with one being used as a center speaker. I had planned to buy an NHT SC-1 for the center speaker. My question....as a newbie with "untrained" ears, will I notice a difference between the SB-2 and the SC-1 that is used in the center?
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

2. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

The sb2 would sound better than the sc1; that is as long as you are not laying the sb2 on its side and are willing to have a center that is upright.

In most cases, the main speaker will always sound better than its specialized counterpart. For pure Aesthetically, manufacturers produce a sonically compromised center channel in the basic mtm configuration. There are inherit problems with this horizontal configuration when used as a center channel.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I 100% agree with Ross. Use identical speakers if you can. If the center is "too high", you could tilt it some so it "faces" the sweet spot a little bit better. Helps with imaging and proper freq response.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I agree as well with the identical L/C/R speaker setup. One more thing, make sure they are all equal distance from your listening position; if the 3 speakers are on the same horizontal plane, then your center speaker is actually closer to you.

5. Bill-Shan

Bill-Shan Auditioning

Thanks for all the help....