do i need a cell phone?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by felix_suwarno, Jul 6, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

now that i am looking for a job, is it imperative for me to have a cell phone, just in case? i never like the idea of paying lots of money for something that i dont use frequently.

advise please! thanks

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

No. Why would you need a cellphone to get a job?

I don't have a cellphone & I have a job [​IMG]

3. felix_suwarno

because i thought who knows somebody wanted to contact me...i dont want to miss a job opportunity just because i dont have a cell phone!

anyway brian, i have just finished my school and want to find a job in videogame industry.

any tips?

my resume and portfolio : www.vhylynx.net

thanks

4. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

5. David-S

David-S Second Unit

If you're that worried about it get a prepaid phone, you don't have to pay a monthly fee (usually only like $10 every month-3 to refill), but you will have a # to give out for incoming calls....

[​IMG]

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i dont know about where you live, but here in vancouver, i use the FIDO service, which gave me a free phone and i only had to stick with the monthyl contract for THREE MONTHS. After that i just swtiched to prepaid where i pay about $25 every 1.5-2 months.

BUt i will also say even though im only 17, there are times im very glad i had one.

7. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

A couple of pay-as-you-go cell phone services:
    www.virginmobileusa.com
    www.tracfone.com

VirginMobile is the cheapest to refill - $20 every 3 months. They use Sprint, don't know who Tracfone uses.

8. felix_suwarno

that virgin mobile looks interesting. but how does it work? do i need to purchase a cell phone from them first?

9. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

You could buy the phone at your local Best Buy or Circuit City, though you probably won't get the bonus minutes that Virgin is advertising on their site. You'll have to check on that.

The first 10 minutes of usage per day is charged at $0.25/minute. After that, it's $0.10/minute. Once you've used up your pre-paid minutes, you have to add more by buying phone cards. I think you can also add more via credit card.

Keep in mind that pre-paid plans can end up costing more than regular plans. For example, $0.25 * 10 minutes * 10 days = $25 for about 100 minutes of airtime. Compare that with, say Cingular Home 200 plan for $25/month, which gives you 200 anytime + 5000 night & weekend minutes. But, you'd need to sign a 1 year contract. The pre-paids don't require a contract. Which way you go really depends on how much you'll be using the phone.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you have no immediate use for a cell phone, then you don't need one.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'd say "pay as you go" but only give the number to your wife/girl/boyfriend( with implicite(sp) instructions that only her or possible employers may call it), or a possible employer.

Brent

12. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I can't stand cell phones and have never owned one, but I can see the use of one if you drive/travel a lot. You never know when your car might break down in the middle of nowhere. I think the main reason I don't like them is the countless times I've been pissed off by some jerk in a theater with one. [​IMG]

You don't need one to get a job, your home phone will suffice. I think you've seen too many hip young professionals on street corners talking on them making you think you need one. [​IMG]

13. felix_suwarno

and i dont even have answering machine! do i need to buy one??? how? jeeessshhh i worked too much on my computer that i dont know this stuff!

thanks for the advice.

14. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I agree, get an answering machine or subscribe to voicemail with your telco and skip the cell phone until you know you need one for sure. I've even heard of employers refusing to call cell phones and Monster suggests that leaving a cell phone on a resume is a "no-no".

15. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

I dont understand why people have HOME phones. I take my phone with me everywhere, never miss a call, have acess to my voicemail always, get free long distance, and pay less for phone service that I can actually use in case of emergency ANYWHERE than I would with a landline.

16. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

17. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I agree that it's not necessary. Just get an answering machine or subscribe to voice mail service with your phone company. Most machines have a code that will allow you to call in and check your machine from anywhere, and your voice mail will allow you to do the same.

I do have a cell phone, but it's mostly for emergencies and I have no intention of using it during my upcoming job hunt. I'll just check my machine a couple times a day.

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

19. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

I don't, haven't had a landline for a couple of years now. I partially justify my cable internet expense by not having a landline phone. I pay about the same for my high speed access as most people pay for landline + dialup service.

Thanks to caller id it's easy to route calls. If the number isn't in my phone book or I don't feel like talking (like when my boss is trying to call me in to work on my day off) I just don't answer and let voicemail get it.

20. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    One advantage voice mail has over answering machines is that they work even if you're already on the phone. Another advantage is that with voice mail, you can skip the call waiting feature which I personally find incredibly annoying. You're talking to someone and they suddenly stop you and say "Uh, hold on. I have another call." What about me?!? I called you first! [​IMG]