What's new

do i need a cell phone? (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
now that i am looking for a job, is it imperative for me to have a cell phone, just in case? i never like the idea of paying lots of money for something that i dont use frequently.

advise please! thanks

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
No. Why would you need a cellphone to get a job?

I don't have a cellphone & I have a job :)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
because i thought who knows somebody wanted to contact me...i dont want to miss a job opportunity just because i dont have a cell phone!

anyway brian, i have just finished my school and want to find a job in videogame industry.

any tips?

my resume and portfolio : www.vhylynx.net

thanks

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
i never like the idea of paying lots of money for something that i dont use frequently.
Why not think of it like insurance. Most people don't like paying for Home Owners insurance, but the day that their house gets robbed or destroyed is the day the praise every cent they payed for it.

I can tell you a BUNCH of times I was thankful I had a phone on me when my car broke down. I've gotten so used to it being with me (for the past 10+ years), that I almost feel lost when I forget it at home.

I haven't checked in a while, but there are some cheaper plans for people who don't expect to use the phone that often.

Cell phones are definitely a nice security blanket whenever you are far from home. As long as I have my cell phone and a credit card, I pretty much feel I can go anywhere without any worries :D

David-S

Second Unit
If you're that worried about it get a prepaid phone, you don't have to pay a monthly fee (usually only like $10 every month-3 to refill), but you will have a # to give out for incoming calls....

:D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, i dont know about where you live, but here in vancouver, i use the FIDO service, which gave me a free phone and i only had to stick with the monthyl contract for THREE MONTHS. After that i just swtiched to prepaid where i pay about $25 every 1.5-2 months.

BUt i will also say even though im only 17, there are times im very glad i had one.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
that virgin mobile looks interesting. but how does it work? do i need to purchase a cell phone from them first?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
You could buy the phone at your local Best Buy or Circuit City, though you probably won't get the bonus minutes that Virgin is advertising on their site. You'll have to check on that.

The first 10 minutes of usage per day is charged at $0.25/minute. After that, it's $0.10/minute. Once you've used up your pre-paid minutes, you have to add more by buying phone cards. I think you can also add more via credit card.

Keep in mind that pre-paid plans can end up costing more than regular plans. For example, $0.25 * 10 minutes * 10 days = $25 for about 100 minutes of airtime. Compare that with, say Cingular Home 200 plan for $25/month, which gives you 200 anytime + 5000 night & weekend minutes. But, you'd need to sign a 1 year contract. The pre-paids don't require a contract. Which way you go really depends on how much you'll be using the phone.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'd say "pay as you go" but only give the number to your wife/girl/boyfriend( with implicite(sp) instructions that only her or possible employers may call it), or a possible employer.

Brent

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I can't stand cell phones and have never owned one, but I can see the use of one if you drive/travel a lot. You never know when your car might break down in the middle of nowhere. I think the main reason I don't like them is the countless times I've been pissed off by some jerk in a theater with one. ;)

You don't need one to get a job, your home phone will suffice. I think you've seen too many hip young professionals on street corners talking on them making you think you need one. :)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
and i dont even have answering machine! do i need to buy one??? how? jeeessshhh i worked too much on my computer that i dont know this stuff!

thanks for the advice.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I agree, get an answering machine or subscribe to voicemail with your telco and skip the cell phone until you know you need one for sure. I've even heard of employers refusing to call cell phones and Monster suggests that leaving a cell phone on a resume is a "no-no".

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
I dont understand why people have HOME phones. I take my phone with me everywhere, never miss a call, have acess to my voicemail always, get free long distance, and pay less for phone service that I can actually use in case of emergency ANYWHERE than I would with a landline.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I take my phone with me everywhere, never miss a call, have acess to my voicemail always
If you never miss a call, why do you need voicemail? ;)

Seriously, I will never give up my landline. I don't WANT to be in contact with everyone 24/7. I want to be able to route my "junk" calls (not just telemarketers, but random people I don't want to talk to) to my home phone, just like I have a "junk" email address to route spam. In the case of a true emergency, you've got a much better chance of using your landline than a cell phone, whose signal can be lost quite easily. Plus, eventhough I've got cable internet, I use the phone line in case it goes down. Yes, I'm addicted to the internet THAT much. :)

I do have a cell phone but nobody has the number except family. I use it for long distance on the weekends, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree that it's not necessary. Just get an answering machine or subscribe to voice mail service with your phone company. Most machines have a code that will allow you to call in and check your machine from anywhere, and your voice mail will allow you to do the same.

I do have a cell phone, but it's mostly for emergencies and I have no intention of using it during my upcoming job hunt. I'll just check my machine a couple times a day.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III

I don't, haven't had a landline for a couple of years now. I partially justify my cable internet expense by not having a landline phone. I pay about the same for my high speed access as most people pay for landline + dialup service.

Thanks to caller id it's easy to route calls. If the number isn't in my phone book or I don't feel like talking (like when my boss is trying to call me in to work on my day off) I just don't answer and let voicemail get it.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
One advantage voice mail has over answering machines is that they work even if you're already on the phone. Another advantage is that with voice mail, you can skip the call waiting feature which I personally find incredibly annoying. You're talking to someone and they suddenly stop you and say "Uh, hold on. I have another call." What about me?!? I called you first! :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks