Do I need a board for my screen frame?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Bart_R, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi everybody,

I recently ordered a projector (Panny 900) and am now looking into making my own screen. I already got a (semi- constructed) framework, but would I need to attach this frame to a board or not? The guy does use one on this site: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11247_7....html?tag=tnav , but I wonder if it's necessary.

Also, what would be the best way to attach these two elements (nails, screws, glue)?

Finally, I got some nice white blackout cloth for the projection surface, but the backside of this is slightly grey-ish, and I was thinking that perhaps I could use this side as well, for added gain. (I can make my room almost pitch black, so that's not an issue, but my walls are white...). Would that be recommended?

Thanks for anything you can tell me.

[​IMG]

Bart.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Mounting the frame to plywood backing is a waste of time and money. You should probably use the side that you say is grayish looking.

3. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Jim,

Well that'll make things somewhat easier for me. So, what the guy on the site says about added rigidity isn't really that big an issue then (?)

Ok, so what exactly would be the reason I'd want to opt for the grayish side. Is it indeed the whiteness of my walls that play an issue here, or is it better regardless?

Cheers,
    Bart.

4. Bart_R

Bart_R Stunt Coordinator

Ok, so I've done away with the board-idea. However, are there perhaps more people who can give me some insight about the screen color. Suppose I choose the grayish side of my blackout cloth and use it in a completely dark room (including walls), would it be noticeably worse than the white side?

I mean, I have white walls now (in which case the grey side would be preferrable [right?]), but, well, they can be painted, and so I also want to look to the future a little.

Furthermore, is it better if the surface is more smooth/glossy/shiny, or instead more rugged in texture? (I'm talking here again about [subtle] differences in the appearance of the two sides of the cloth).

Thanks in advance,
    Bart.