Do I have to worry about blowing my speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin. W, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I just upgrade my Rotel RMB-1066(6x60) to a Rotel RMB-1095(5x200) to power my Paradigm Mini Monitors. I recalibrated my speakers to the same spot on the dial("0" = 75db) of my pre/pro. This is why I'm worried about blowing my speakers, even though I decreased each individual channel by the appropriate db level to register 75db. I'm assuming as long as I don't crank it everything should be okay??

Kevin

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Kevin,

First, congratulations on your really nice additions. I own the 1066 and love the thing. And, your new power amp is a brute, with lots of clean power that will serve you for years to come. Hopefully, you'll come over to Club Rotel at HTGuide.com to post your impressions or ask any questions you have about your new gear.

That aside, I really don't think you'll have too much in the way of power overload on those speakers,if you don't blast them. I think the Paradigm mini monitors are listed to accept loads up to 100 watts max power or thereabouts, but these guidelines always confuse me in that there seems to be little in the way of industry standards. As I'm sure you're already aware, it is much more lethal to the health and longevity of speakers to underpower them, than to overpower them.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd say you should consider better speakers, but you are correct in your assesment that there should be no issue as long as you don't crank them up to rediculous levels. I can reach ear blistering levels without distortion, and that is below 50% of volume on my amp, so I would say you could reach levels that are uncomfortable before you reach levels that will damage the speakers by overpowering them.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I blew my speakers once... Now they don't call, they don't write. Overall, I feel kinda' used.

Wait, what were we talking about again? [​IMG]

5. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Don't worry about it. Your speakers can go louder than you think. The rule I go by is: if you hear any hint of objectionable distortion, turn it down immediately. Although I've rushed to the volume control many times just because I'm hearing something in a recording that I didn't hear before. It also helps to be familiar with the limits of the speakers - when do they start sounding strained?