Do I have to live with the Rattles?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
S
I watched ROTK tonight with my family. First movie with sustained bass that showed off the splendor of my PB1+.

What a great movie for bass. The only problem is there were so many rattles it sometimes ruined the experience. Do I live with the rattles or is there something I can do to tame them? The problem is I think one of the rattles is my wall. Not sure what I can do about that one.

Just curious if there are any home remedies or rattle cures out there.

Steven_E_S

Auditioning
Reaction score
Hi,
For pictures I use a couple of dabs of putty between the wall and frame. This has cured those. You can use the putty for other things such as small glasses , vases etc on the bottom of them too. Others have suggested velcro in the past. Velcro seems like much more work to me though.
Steve

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
Reaction score
You needn't live with the rattles. Try this. Cheers.

DS.

Edward J M

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I use pick-up truck cap foam tape under or behind all things that rattle. Buy it in rolls at auto stores - it's cheap, you can custom cut it to size, and the adhesive is only one sided (perfect for not peeling off paint on walls).

The drywall behind the sub vents rattled like a sumbitch; luckily it is exposed on the other side (in the basement), and I was able to pound some shims between the drywall and the studs to prevent the rattling.

Few people will have access to the back side of a rattling wall, though - I got lucky on that one.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
Reaction score
Find a good base test cd, Digital Video Essentials has a track called rattle test. this will help you identify where the rattles are, once you find them get creative on getting rid of them.

Johnny

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I've had some success with self stick type adhesive felt pads. The small round type with the peel off back that You can buy almost anywhere. I've put them on the back of pictures and shelves. Tap on the walls as You move around Your room to help isolate offending objects. This has helped in my listening room, but since it's also the living room, it's still an issue.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
I have faux wood panelling over drywall in my basement ht-and that rattles during loud passages(Fight Club,ROTK)Is there anything relatively simple and cheap I can do about it? Will an isolation platform help with that? I guess another way to say it-Is the wall rattling from the movement of air or because of the vibrating floor?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
S
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll isolate the rattles and give some of your suggestions a shot.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GlobalImages