Do I have to live with the Rattles?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Stephen Houdek, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I watched ROTK tonight with my family. First movie with sustained bass that showed off the splendor of my PB1+.

What a great movie for bass. The only problem is there were so many rattles it sometimes ruined the experience. Do I live with the rattles or is there something I can do to tame them? The problem is I think one of the rattles is my wall. Not sure what I can do about that one.

Just curious if there are any home remedies or rattle cures out there.

2. Steven_E_S

Steven_E_S Auditioning

Hi,
    For pictures I use a couple of dabs of putty between the wall and frame. This has cured those. You can use the putty for other things such as small glasses , vases etc on the bottom of them too. Others have suggested velcro in the past. Velcro seems like much more work to me though.
    Steve

3. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

You needn't live with the rattles. Try this. Cheers.

DS.

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

I use pick-up truck cap foam tape under or behind all things that rattle. Buy it in rolls at auto stores - it's cheap, you can custom cut it to size, and the adhesive is only one sided (perfect for not peeling off paint on walls).

The drywall behind the sub vents rattled like a sumbitch; luckily it is exposed on the other side (in the basement), and I was able to pound some shims between the drywall and the studs to prevent the rattling.

Few people will have access to the back side of a rattling wall, though - I got lucky on that one.

5. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

Find a good base test cd, Digital Video Essentials has a track called rattle test. this will help you identify where the rattles are, once you find them get creative on getting rid of them.

Johnny

6. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I've had some success with self stick type adhesive felt pads. The small round type with the peel off back that You can buy almost anywhere. I've put them on the back of pictures and shelves. Tap on the walls as You move around Your room to help isolate offending objects. This has helped in my listening room, but since it's also the living room, it's still an issue.

7. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

I have faux wood panelling over drywall in my basement ht-and that rattles during loud passages(Fight Club,ROTK)Is there anything relatively simple and cheap I can do about it? Will an isolation platform help with that? I guess another way to say it-Is the wall rattling from the movement of air or because of the vibrating floor?

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Floor and air both. Depends.

9. Stephen Houdek

S
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll isolate the rattles and give some of your suggestions a shot.

10. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

If you push on the wall, does the rattle go away?

11. Stephen Houdek

S
    I will check that one ace.