Do I HAVE to have an amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Kass, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Jason Kass

Jason Kass Agent

Hi,
    I am building a new house and am starting to build a modest system. Outlaw 950 pre/pro (yes..I am still waiting), Klipsch RF3 fronts, Klipsch RCW3 in wall for the rear center (6.1), and the HSU VTF-3 so far. The house is not quite done yet so I have a couple of weeks at least to get the rest. My question is with the 950 do I have to have an amp or does it power the speakers enough to get by for a while. I assume that if and when I get an amp it would improve the quantity of sound but does it also improve the quality? And my next question would be what would be a good mid level amp for my situation? I will be completing the system with the Klipsch RS3 surround and the RC3 center.
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

The 950 will not power your speakers. An external amplifier is required.

Bruce

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jason,

As Bruce said, this is not an issue of quality - rather the fact that the Outlaw 950 is not a receiver- it is strictly a preamplifier. It has no amplifier stage in it at all, so there is no power in that unit to drive speakers (it simply puts out a line level output designed to then be sent to amplfiers).

The signal the 950 produces is at the same level as the analog output from a CD player-- just imagine trying to connect speakers directly to the RCA jacks on your CD player- this output is only about 1 volt of signal-- not nearly enough to drive a speaker (it has less output level than a headphone jack!!)

So- your issue of an amplifier is not a luxury, rather an absolute requirement. You have to have some unit to drive the speakers. So, you must have a amplifier, or at minimum an old receiver with 6 channel input which could serve to drive speakers...

-V