What's new

Do I have the LFE bug with the Onkyo SR600? (1 Viewer)

brent_bdb

Auditioning
Read about the problem with the 500, so that's why I went with the 600.

Can't get LFE to output using optimizer on Star Wars DVD or AVIA disk. Subwoofer works (pulls bass from other speakers) but not LFE.

Maybe a setup problem, so let me explain and you guys let me know if I just have something hooked up wrong.

Onkyo HT500, SR600 (back channel disabled on reciever since only 5.1 speaker set), Toshiba SD-3109 DVD.

On the back of the DVD I have 3 options for audio out: 1) 6 analog connections for 5.1 system, 2) 2 channel analog out, 3) Bitstream/PCM optical or coax

I'm connected to the reciever via the optical digital connection. I'm not doing component switching and strictly the audio is connected.

The following is my input type configuration on my reciever right now (though I've tried just about every conceivable alternatives)
a) Input type on the reciever is Optical
b) D. Format is :All (choices of DTS, PCM, All)
c) Multichannel: No (choices of yes,no)
d) A/PCM: Surround (choices of Surround, unplugged, studio mix, tv logic, all channel st., direct, stereo)
e) PCM 96khz: Direct (choices of direct, stereo)
f) Digital formats: Surround (choices of surround, stereo)

Listening Modes -- Surround --Neo:Cinema (choices of Neo:Cinema, Neo: Music, PLII Movie, PLII Music

Display that shows when I'm running Star Wars Attack of the Clones:
DVD, Neo:Cinema, DTS, Neo:6, PCM, PCM FS: 48khz

Questions: 1) I'm right to connect through the optical digital PCM connection right (rather than the analog?) 2) Since it's PCM, the reciever never shows anything like Dolby Digital 5.1 on display, always shows PCM...is that correct? 3) What the heck listening mode should I have it on when my Star Wars DVD is on? 4) The instruction manual has the DVD as being hooked up using the COAX digital cable rather than the optical. Should I try that or will it make a difference?

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
Brent,

Star Wars : AOTC should definately light up Dolby Digital. There seems to be something with the setup of the receiver or DVD player. Can you manually force the receiver into Dolby Digital mode ?

-Jeramy

brent_bdb

Auditioning
the only dvd setup options I have for audio from the dvd setup menu is to choose between 2 CH analog, 6 channel analog, and PCM (this maps up with my connection choices from the back of the DVD player). I chose PCM since I'm using the digital connection. When I click the DVD display when Star Wars AOTC, it shows audio of 5.1.

As for the reciever, I don't have any options to manually select Dolby Digital. If I read the instructions there is one section that says if the input type is dolby digital I should see something like Dolby Digital (3-2-1) on the display but underneath that section it says if you have PCM connection, then it will display PCM. I never see anything about Dolby Digital in any of the things I cycle through on the receiver.

I'm a little confused about what PCM is and why it doesn't say Dolby Digital when you're connected via PCM...but that's the only digital connection I have.

brent_bdb

Auditioning
that was it, thanks a ton!!!!! (that's the one option I never tried for whatever reason). Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks