What's new

Do I have enough SVS or not?... (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'm moving my HT room into a 21x25x8'room...Will the 2039 pci SVS be enough? I like that impact on movies..big hitting..good clean sound...I love my SVS...anyone with a room around this size, how does yours sound? I use a marantz sr8200 with jbl s-26's all around (s-centerII also) thanks! TL

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
You will have to add another sub to reach reference levels in a room that size. This is all mute though if you don't plan on watching movies that loud.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Yes it is enough for me, however, you are not related to Travis are you??? If so it will never be enough, but you can get by with honor until you make the determination yourself. My SVS is the cs2039 powered by a crusty old proAmp and sometimes it scares me, my wife, and my dog but thats another story.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Similarly, I've been wondering if I have enough SVS. I've had two of the original 20-39CS subs (before the ISD driver came out) for about two and half years. I might agree that this is quite enough for my HT room--12'x 8'x 14'(WxHxD)--but I've been yearning for more, especially more output in the lowest registers. Since hearing of the B4, I've been drooling. I've got the dough for this monster, but I'm afraid my "smallish" room would conflict horribly with both the physical size and output of the B4. Like any of you, I love loads of good, clean bass. But would the B4 honestly be a bad decision for my theater room? I'm utterly insane for even thinking about it, right?

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the input...My current room is 11x13x8' ...yes, that B4 looks good...grr..

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry Tom :frowning:

No way is that enough sub for THAT room! I'd sell that pci and get a PC+ or two (or dual Ultras). Thats one BIG room to fill.

Mitch

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hmm...anyone else have a thought...or use approx. the same room size...? I want that darn B4!!:) I would think that would cure my needs...or would it? thanks for the responses! tl

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
S&H was lower than I expected it to be. My 20-39CS Plus was around $25, my CS Ultra was around $30(to Northern VA).

Robin Casady

Agent
I'm moving my HT room into a 21x25x8'room...Will the 2039 pci SVS be enough?
I have a similarly sized room with openings to the kitchen and dinning room.

SVS 25-31PC+ = happy. When desired, it will rattle the photos on the wall and make me worry about the house sliding down the hill.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator

Nice Guy :)

I have the 20-39PC+ in my basement HT that is about 29x29x8 and it does a fine job however I am considering another one. With that said with just the single I have found that placement is upmost important and really really makes a huge difference. Just a few feet here or there is critical in getting the top performance from the single SVS in a large room like ours.
cheers

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hmm...I need another one then:) The wife doesn't mind one in the family room, but 2..she'd explode...I am seriously thinking B4...am I nuts? This would give me some overhead...plus all my trimwork etc is Golden Oak...which is a stain offered...then I could blend and semi hide it...then WHAM!! scare the pants outta my cats:) (pictures one of them using it for a window seat:)

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
My hometheater is in my main living room. The kitchen is virtually in the same room. That area is about 20 x 30 x 10. Then I've got large openings into my front living room and dining room plus the hall that leads to bedrooms. Call it 6000+ cu ft. Basically you can't find a more open floorplan and in that respect, a more challenging floorplan for a subwoofer.

For a long time I had "only" a single 25-31PC. Not the PCi, just the plain old 190 watt, +/- 12mm excursion PC. And it did amazing things. More bass than most people even want in their homes.

I know we're not "most people". In fact, I've built a DIY sonosub to keep the SVS company. But honestly, I'm not listening at higher levels than before. And I'm not running the subs hotter than before. I just found some deals on the parts that I couldn't pass up (Dayton DVC for $75 and 250W plate amp for $100). Its nice to have the extra headroom - instead of one sub working, two subs cruising. But honestly the single SVS was plenty. I could run 10dB under reference (but subs running about 3 dB hot) playing Toy Story 2, Titan AE, Phantom Menace, you name it. I've never bottomed that thing. The combination of higher tuning, appropriate amp power and rumble filter makes it practically idiot-proof ... or bass-head-proof as the case may be.

Maybe I'm not your average HTF guy. Rather, I suspect, there's just a bit of Tim the Tool Man in all of us that craves for new toys with, of course, more power. I'm as guilty here as the next guy.

Eric C D

Second Unit
Tommy,

SVS is already planning a single-box with two drivers. Perhaps the forthcoming B2 "stealth" might be what the doctor/WAF ordered.

Eric

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Ahhh yes... That could be the one:) You know how it is..gotta have it gotta have it scenerio...man, we are all guilty at sometime or another right?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Bass is Bass is Bass if your meter says you have enough and you have a respectful amount of headroom then upgrade something else. Like children, too much candy will make you puke. . .

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
my living/dining room in my apartment is 26 x 13 x 10, with a corridor to the bedrooms exactly at the left of the HT setup, and at the opposite corner is the mini-hall to the main door. notionally 338 sq ft (3,380 cubic), but the floor plans say that the whole area is 43 sq metres, which is more like 460 sqft, for 4,600 cubic.

all I have is a lil' ole 25-31PCi, tuned 22 to boot (which as you'd know loses 1-2 dB). still more than enough sub for me, it consistently shakes the walls, rattles doors in frames etc.

but I don't regularly listen at reference levels, neighbours and all that. and I have hard marble floors, so perhaps that adds to the oomph. YMMV.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Similarly, I've been wondering if I have enough SVS. I've had two of the original 20-39CS subs (before the ISD driver came out) for about two and half years. I might agree that this is quite enough for my HT room--12'x 8'x 14'(WxHxD)--but I've been yearning for more, especially more output in the lowest registers. Since hearing of the B4, I've been drooling. I've got the dough for this monster, but I'm afraid my "smallish" room would conflict horribly with both the physical size and output of the B4. Like any of you, I love loads of good, clean bass. But would the B4 honestly be a bad decision for my theater room? I'm utterly insane for even thinking about it, right?
Yep, that's right, it'll take two to reach ref levels.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks