1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have an NIC?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm having problems installing my home network (the computers don't recognize each other) and I'm wondering if I'm missing something basic.

I plugged the cable into the back of the older PC, assuming that would do the job. However, I'm wondering if what I plugged it into is a network interface card, or just a standard (non-NIC, if there is such a thing) jack.

Can I tell just by looking at it if it's an NIC?

The PC is a Pentium 3, maybe 3-4 years old.

Thanks,

Jon

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

You can't jam an ethernet cable into a phone jack, so I'm fairly sure it is in fact an ethernet card.

If you're just hooking two computers to each other without a router, there's a little more setup to do than just plugging them in.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Jon you might have plugged in a phone cable which is much smaller then the RJ46 ethernet jack. If there's a red and green light flashing (or at least green) when you plug in the cable chances are its an ethernet cable.

Can you expand on exactly what it is you are doing and with what gear? If you are plugging one computer into another by way of an ethernet cable without first plugging into a switch or router you'll need a crossover cable which will be available at most PC stores.

4. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

No, I didn't cram anything into a wrong-sized jack; the cable fit nicely. So I guess it is in fact an ethernet jack.

Here's the deal:

Basement PC: Pentium 3, Windows XP.
    Living room PC: Pentium 4, Windows XP.

Internet (via cable) goes into the modem, modem connected to a Linksys router. From the router, I have a cable going to each PC.

I went through the network wizard on each computer, and when done, it told me it was properly configured. I designated one computer LIVING ROOM and the other BASEMENT.

I marked some files as shared on the basement PC, thinking I was done. Went upstairs and tried to find them (WINDOWS EXPLORER - MY NETWORK PLACES) and it only lists some "living room" shared docs, which are pre-installed music and photo samples (this is a new PC).

On a related note, I can't share my (basement) printer, either, even though I denoted it as shared.

I'm nearly 100% certain all of the connections are correct.

Both PC's access the internet via the router without a problem.

What's my next move?

Thanks a ton,

Jon

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

Make sure that both computers are part of the same Workgroup and that the same protocols are being used on both computers.

6. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Shared resources don't just appear out of nowhere, you have to add them.

To add a shared printer to another computer, you will have to install it through the Printers and Faxes on your Start Menu.

To view shared items through My Network Places, you have to add the Network Places (first option on the left under Network Tasks). I don't know if you can share individual files without sharing the directory they are in.

And yes, make sure the computers are in the same Workgroup.

7. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Is the Basement PC able to connect to the Internet via the router? If so the integrated NIC is working ok. If not you may have to go into the BIOS and enable it or update your motherboard drivers.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Xp home or pro?

9. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

XP Home.

I should also add that I checked in Hardware Profiles in the Basement (older) computer and it shows an ethernet card that is functioning properly.

Still working on this. Thanks to all.

Jon

10. Gregory Maier

Gregory Maier Auditioning

you can manually select the device under My computer ie dvd rom drive and right click it and properties then select the shared tab and check the appropriate boxes. then from the other computer under network places right click the shared device and right click and select map network drive. then you should see that mapped drive under My computer window.

Hope this helps I own HitecRednec Computers in Tarpon Springs Florida so if you have more questions feel free to post them i chack back frequently to answer them.

Gregory

11. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Here's where I'm at:

First, I disabled the XP firewall on both computers, then re-booted each. This did not help.

Next, I went to the basement computer and went through the network wizard again - the last window said that it is properly configured.

Then, I selected the C drive (still on the basement PC) and activated sharing of the drive. A window opened and, after a few minutes, it indicated that the drive was set up for sharing on the network. I did the same with a few other assorted files.

I went upstairs to the other computer, opened My Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Home > Basement.

When I tried to open the Basement file, I got the following error message:

NOT ACCESSIBLE. YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO USE THIS NETWORK RESOURCE. CONTACT THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS SERVER TO FIND OUT IF YOU HAVE ACCESS PERMISSIONS. THE NETWORK PATH WAS NOT FOUND.

When I click on Basement Properties, I get the message: THE SERVER COULD NOT BE FOUND ON THE NETWORK.

I'm pretty much at a loss as to what to do next.

Jon

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Do you know the IP addresses of both machines? If not go into a DOS shell and type ipconfig and it will tell you the IP of that machine. Once you know both machines IP addresses go back into the DOS shell and type ping 192.168.0.2 (or what ever the other machines IP address is) if it finds the other machine you know the two are at least talking. If it fails to find it you have some network issues we need to resolve. Assuming it does find it when you share a folder there's a check box at the bottom of the window to allow other users to change the contents of that folder...check that off and see if it helps.

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I am able to ping the living room computer from the basement computer...

...but...

I cannot ping the basement computer from the living room computer.

Ready for my next instructions. [​IMG]

Jon

14. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

C'mon, don't leave me hangin'! [​IMG]