What's new

Do I have an NCenter and N24 rear problem? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Sch.

Stunt Coordinator
Basically, when I put a song on my Ncenter somtimes pops or clicks during a song. It also kind of pops or makes noises when i turn up the volume on my reciever. Do I have a problem?

Could the second problem listed be because more power is going to the speaker as i turn the volume up?

My other question is about my right rear N24 (+3) which gets staticky when i listen to some songs in Circle Surround. Im wondering if it could be caused by the cd being a little dirty or have scratchs on it?

I usually listen to my music around -26db - -34db

Is this to high and could i damage things listening at this level. My system is not calibrated using aVia or anything but my own ears.

Thanks to anyone with some input.

Im running a Vr-507, N26's , NCenter

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Jeff - I'm not familiar with your VR-507, so maybe someone else can chime in with any INFO that might help.

...usually listen to my music around -26db - -34db
, that really doesn't mean much to me. If you can relate the SPL level that you're having the problems, then I could comment on that. Otherwise, all I can say is that when I listen to my CD's @ above normal levels, about 91 dB+ fast SPL peaks about 22 feet away from my Front R&L speakers (I'm @ my computer), I don't have any issues with ticks, static or pops. I don't use any effects while I'm listening to my Music CD's, so turn-off your Circle Surround and see if it goes away. Anyway, I also don't have any sound problems listening to my 5.1 DD & DTS Music Concerts @ or near REF Level.

Hope this helps,

Phil

ScottAndrew

Stunt Coordinator
I have a similar setup. I have the older VR-407 an N-center, and N-24 surrounds. When I turn up the volume to around -25 I get a pop out of my right surround, and then I sometimes just get static or buzzing from that channel until I turn it down. In my case I'm certain it's the receiver because it also happened when I had the Kenwood HTB speakers that came with the receiver.

It doesn't matter what the source material is, either. I first noticed it when playing the receiver's test tones. But in stereo mode the only limit on the volume is what my ears can handle. In real life I never play as loud as -25 anyway.

But maybe that will help you isolate the problem. I'm curious too.

Scott

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit
Jeff,
I also have the JBL N24s and the NCenter, but have never had the problems that you describe.
My receiver is the Sony DB840.
My system is not calibrated using aVia or anything but my own ears.
I would highly recommend picking up Avia (~$40) and the analog SPL meter from Radio Shack (~$35). It is a fairly inexpensive investment in your HT that will be well worth it in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks