What's new

Do I have an inferior multiswitch? (1 Viewer)

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I just had DirecTV installed and went with the oval dish w/ dual LNB's to get HDTV signals (101,119). I have the Hughes E86 receiver. When the installer got it hooked up, we could not get HD and standard programming at the same time. After and hour of troubleshooting he changed out the multiswitch on the dish. The one he put on was not identical, but is a 4 way w/ a rating of 50 - 1450MHz. I see 50 - 2200MHz multiswitches all over the net. Did he give me a crappy one?

I have a Hitachi 53UWX10B and some of the DirecTV stations look like hell. Is this typical on a 16:9 HDRPTV?

carl-s

Grip
John,

Could be a bad multi switch. The more splits you have in a multi swith the more loss you get. If I were you, I would run a direct line from the LNBF to the receiver to see weather or not it make a difference.

Carl

David Ely

Supporting Actor
John,

What channels in particular look bad to you? You will have to keep in mind that EVERY channel will suffer from compression artifacts. That's just something you need to live with right now. The larger your screen is, the more you'll notice it. The 'locals' have the worst compression of all the channels. Even some of the stations in the 500s get pretty bad.

As far as signal loss goes, check the signal strength meter in your receiver's menu. If you have a signal over 60, you're fine. A signal stregth of 60 is the minimum required to get the full information to your receiver. Any more than 60 is just headroom for a cloudy day.

Charles L.

Agent
I dont know very much about the new direct tv setups, but I do know a little about dishnetwork. As far as a splitter goes 1450 Mhz. is the required min. A multi switch though it looks like a splitter is not. it is a two way switch that passes DC current through to the lnb to SWITCH sats. Dishnetwork puts their regular progarmming on the 110 and 119 sat. locations. The hi def (mirrored) programming comes primarliy from 61.5 my point being that I can get HBO from the 110, 119 sats, but if I want HBO in hi-def then I need to be looking at the 61.5

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
I was mainly concerned about my current multiswitch MHz rating. Is 50 - 1450MHz acceptable or should I have something over 2GHz?

I get 75~90's on source 101, and 70-80's on source 119.

David Ely

Supporting Actor
It sounds like your properly setup.

Just keep your fingers crossed that there will be less compression in the signal now that they have their new satelite up in the sky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks