Do I have an illegal version of Windows XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Lofgren, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I'm new to computer building, but decided to try building a computer. I purchased a copy of XP, but it's an OEM copy. I didn't realize what this was at the time, but now understand why I had to purchase hardware with the copy. It has the cd and an identification number, but that's all. I'm building the computer and the operating system is for a new computer, but I'm not a computer manufacturer or anything. Is this legal, ethical, etc?

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I would think your fine. Just make sure you save the receipt from where ever you bought if from if you need some sort of proof.

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

You purchased a non-pirated copy of Windows. The problem is that although its an original disk, MS made it for OEMs and you're not an OEM. There is a clause somewhere (man I wish I could find it) that says purchasing an OEM copy when you are not an OEM is considered pirating in their eyes.

That's from the purely legal standpoint (and I don't know more than that cause I'm not a lawyer). But, the other side of the coin is that I know lots of people who have done exactly what you've done and suffered no harm.

I think the public views it as not being nearly as bad as completely pirating a disk, which I agree with. But MS seems to think differently.

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I think you can buy an OEM copy provided you purchase it along with a computer, motherboard, or hard drive. Sounds like you meet those criteria, at least if you bought the XP along with your hardware.

KJP

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

You are fine, actually you are better than most, as you are really building a computer. A lot of OEM copies are sold on EBay just with a cable or non working memory chip, to satisfy the requirement of "Must be Sold with Hardware". The OEM thing is not limited to Windows or MS, there's a ton of Norton, Intuit,...products available in OEM versions too.
    2-3 years back, the OEM things were semi "hush hush", as they are only available (single copy basis) at EBay, Yahoo Auction,..., but now you can get them at Amazon, Fry's retail, and a bunch of big outlets. I beleive that quite a few of the major software vendors, including MS, has silenttly endorsed this grey market just to move products at a deep discount.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Alright, time to eat my words [​IMG] Somehow I remember reading about the whole "OEM" bit and they had strict guidelines of who was and who wasn't. My apologies.
    Taken from the MICROSOFT OEM SYSTEM BUILDER AGREEMENT
    http://www.microsoft.com/oem/licensesample.asp

7. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Interesting: you don't need a CD or floppy to load the OS, or a video card to see what you're doing (I guess that could be integrated in the motherboard) [​IMG]
    I guess what's lacking from the OEM version is a pretty box and any notion of support, which would be provided by the OEM instead of Microsoft. Do you get the (now very thin) manual?
    Make sure you have the (shiny hologram) Certificate of Authenticity.
    //Ken

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

You're fine. I've been buying OEM since Windows 95. For a supplier to sell it to you you're supposed to buy it with hardware (MB, CPU), but that's really their problem and not yours. Many places will sell you an OEM version without meeting those requirements. This puts in jeopardy their ability to purchase OEM versions through MS, but doesn't affect you. Many unscrupulous dealers will also sell OEM versions for the price of a boxed version, which is wrong. IIRC retail for OEM XP Pro is $199 and XP Home is $129 so if you paid more than that you may have paid to much.

Are you in the Twin Cities? PC Adventures, General Nano and Tran Micro all sell you legit OEM copies of XP.

9. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

>>I guess what's lacking from the OEM version is a pretty box and any notion of support,

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think what the problem is with OEM versions is that as an OEM, you could load it up on a machine and keep the disk for yourself, and then use it on a 2nd and 3rd, etc.

That is why there is a 'hardware' requirement, and I think it was supposed to be either a hard drive or a motherboard.

Glenn

12. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

14. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

True Brian and I didnt think that you were encouraging that fact, hence me not attacking you [​IMG]. Just wanted to make sure people dont support practices like that.
    KyleS