do i have a rpoblem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by sean f, Jan 16, 2004.

1. sean f

sean f Agent

I just bought an Elite vsx43tx receiver I am not sure if there is a problem I get good volume from it about -17 for watching movies but in order to listen to cd's and the radio at a higher volume I need crank it up to about
    -10. It souds great with no distortion all the way to the positive db side but this seems like I should not have to go that high. the max is +12. This could be normal but on my old Yamaha about 2 thirds on the volume and it was too loud. Any response will be appreciated as I got this from Tweeter on clearence and I think I only have 7 days to return it.

Also I checked the impedence and it is set to 8omhs

2. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

Did you adjust and calibrate the pink noise?

PS. The other problem you may have is your spelling! HA! just playing with you.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Depending on the size of your room and what you have calibrated as your reference level, I would say you probably don't have a problem. W/ my 43TX I watch TV at about -25 and DVD at -15... I have my reference (75db conversations, 110db bass peaks, using S&V HT Tune Up & SPL meter) set at even 00db. In a larger room with less efficient speakers and a different calibrated reference level the numbers you're describing don't sound out of left field. Also see if there are any volume controls within your player's menus or on it's remote... I used to have to turn mine up to -05 with DVD until I discovered my Bravo D1 has a "player volume" that defaults to 50% and resets whenever the player is turned off via the hard button on the unit (not soft power-off via the remote though thank goodness).

4. sean f

sean f Agent

"(75db conversations, 110db bass peaks, using S&V HT Tune Up & SPL meter)"

can you please explain this a bit further or let me know where i can get more info on how to set this up

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

75db conversations and 110db peaks are a fairly accurate summation of what "reference level" is. You calibrate your receiver/speakers to this reference level by using the speaker level settings, a spl meter, and a calibration disc. You can also use your receiver's internal test tones (i know the 43TX internal test tones to be very accurate compared to S&V HT Tune Up).

When you go into the setup, normal, and speaker levels you can use the internal test tones to calibrate each speaker to 75db using an spl meter an 00db as the reference base (it will set to 00db automaticly).

If you use a calibration disc you can use the "Channel Level" button on the remote to adjust the speaker levels.