Do I have a ground loop?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kris Special, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Kris Special

Kris Special Auditioning

Well after getting back from vacation I have FINALLY hooked up all my goodies and get to put them to the test.

The problem? Once I plugged in the subwoofer, it started humming pretty loudly. It's a powered 300W Cerwin Vega
    V-12S. It's the only speaker that is humming. I have all my components plugged in to the same power strip (which is the correct thing to do I thought).

anyone have any suggestions / input?

thx

Update: The sub hums even if the receiver is off. I don't get it

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

!QUOT!Update: The sub hums even if the receiver is off. I don't get it.!QUOT!

Ground loop will keep doing its ugly deed as long as equipment is plugged into the AC. The hum does not come from the receiver electronics, it is actually induced by current flowing in the shield from receiver to sub.

Try disconnecting the cable box first, see if that's causing the loop.

If that's not it my advise has always been disconnect EVERYTHING and then connect one thing at a time till the culprit is found.

Then we'll take it from there>

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Possibly a ground loop. Some might suggest to use a cheater plug (no ground...two prong). While doing so typically removes the problem of a ground loop, its not a good idea to do it. Rather than suggest a bunch of ideas (like if your sub has a grounding screw to run a wire from it to your receiver, etc.), try thislink and perhaps you'll find what you're looking for.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Unplug the input to the sub from the receiver. If the hum stops, you've got a loop. If not, then your problem lies in your sub/amp. Also, try unplugging your cable or satellite connections, this is the source of many ground loops. You may need an isolator of some sort to fix it.

Do a search on ground loop and you will probably find something. A cheater plug will fix it but is not safe, try to avoid this fix if possible.

5. Kris Special

Kris Special Auditioning

Yep...if I unplug the LFE cable, the hum stops

I'll try playing with the cable....I have Direct TV...could that cause it just like regular cable?

I'm not sure what else to try

thx for the replies btw