Do I have a faulty Panny 47WX49?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Sk, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Mark_Sk

Mark_Sk Auditioning

I have got the Panny 47WX42 and have it hooked up to a Panny RP-62 DVD (previously an RP-56 which was returned as though to be the problem) and when I view DVD's in progressive scan mode I am getting really bad artifacting on most discs, and was especially noticable at the end of American Pie 2 where you get a shot of the sky and the sea (just before credits).

I have the player hooked up with Acoustic Research component cables, I have also tried with S-video non-prog and I get a slight amount of articafting but not as bad, but the picture is then very dark and red.

Is this likely to be a TV probelm, or do I have a setting wrong? I have tried to play with the settings on the TV through the normal menu (not the service menu) but none of them make a difference. I have also tried using both sets of component inputs.

Help would be appreciated before I call in the serivice people.

I do also have a Malata 520 in transit to me (for all my PAL discs from the UK) and will see if the problem is there with that in Prog Scan mode, but seeing as I had it with both the RP-56 and the RP-62 then I am guessing it is not DVD player related?!?)

2. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

Mark, do you have the Progressive Scan Enabled in the Setup menu, and also you have to have the Progressive Button on the front bottom right hand side of the player pushed in. When Progressive is working there will be a green light on the progressive button I just told you to push. If you have those to things done then you are ready to go, if it still doesn't work then you have a bad player. I have the same player and tv and I screwed this up when I first got it then realized my mistake and now I'm happy, what a great combination.

3. Mark_Sk

Mark_Sk Auditioning

I do have the Prog Scan enabled in both places, and I don't think it is a bad player as this is the second player I have had (a RP-56 and this RP-62).

If I switch off Prog Scan but still use the component I get a stightly better image (i.e. less artifacting) but it is much darker and still not what I wold class as DVD quality.

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Is your sharpness too high?

Regards

5. Mark_Sk

Mark_Sk Auditioning

Have tried setting sharpness all the way from 0 to max and doesn't help [​IMG]

6. Rick Pay

Rick Pay Stunt Coordinator

I'm having the same issue with a brand new RP91 hooked up to my Panny 47wx49. Where do you enable progressive scan in the setup menu of the tv?

7. Mark_Sk

Mark_Sk Auditioning

You don't need to enable Prog Scan on the TV, it is automatic

8. Mark_Sk

Mark_Sk Auditioning

Anyone? remember it is a WX42 not WX49! (Sorry made a mistake in title and were unable to edit it [​IMG] )

9. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

How about trying the DVD player on another TV.

Or trying another DVD player on the TV. May be the DVD player at issue.

Regards

10. Mark_Sk

Mark_Sk Auditioning

This is the second DVD player (as mentioned above) that I have tried, although both Panasonics. I have a Malata 520 being delivered and I will try that when it arrives.