What's new

Do I disconnect my gas service in the summer? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I have a gas heater (the only appliance that uses gas in my apartment) that keeps my utility bills down during the winter (e.g., no electric heaters). However, now that summer is soon upon us, I notice that the heater still generates heat even at the lowest temperature setting. So, I thought about calling the gas company to disconnect service and then reconnect it in the fall. Is this what everyone does? Thanks! As you can see, this is my first foray into gas utilities. :)

Tom Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
The only thing that should be on is the pilot light. I'm sure they will hit you with a service charge to disconnect and reconnect service. Both of which I would assume to be more than the cost of the pilot being on.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
hmmm...if it's only the heater and not something important like the water heater than i guess you could do that. however, you might wanna check to see how much re-connect fees will run you. what is your gas service bill on average during the summer?

kevin t

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I just turn off the pilot light during the summer and re-light it myself when it becomes obvious that heat is needed. Saves about $8 a month and keeps the place cooler. But then again I also have a gas hot water heater so I would be loath to turn the gas off completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks