What's new

Do Home Theater enthusiasts like to Travel too? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
I'm someone who enjoys the pleasure of watching a movie with just my wife on our home theater in the basement. As opposed to the typical person going to the local movie theater/multiplex and "getting out of the house". However, I also consider traveling as my other biggest hobby, and like to get out and see as many places in the world as possible.

I was always wondering, do these hobbies mix? Does anyone else here like home theater AND travel, or do you think that the average home theater person likes to stay home ALL the time? I'd be curious to hear if I'm in the minority or the majority on this one.

P.S. When I travel on vacation, I almost always do it during the off-season when it isn't crowded. So I guess that actually does agree with my love of home theater, as there is never a crowd in my personal multiplex either ;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Ask the people who attended last year's Home Theater Cruise. One of our leaders, Ron, was there, along with a few other HTF luminaries.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Scott you have struck a chord.

My wife and I love to travel and I’ve probably spent about 20%–25% of my adult life outside the U.S. We used to spend our spare income on travel until we realized that we could work elsewhere and get it for free—so to speak.

Even then, we traveled a fair bit. For example we lived in Australia for several years. Took one vacation to Fiji. When I lived in Singapore (and my wife in Jakarta) we vacationed in Sarawak (on the island of Borneo). And so on.

I don’t know so much about traveling during the off-season. I travel when it suits my schedule.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I was always wondering, do these hobbies mix?
For me yes. Now that I can afford it, I find I need to get the hell out of dodge a couple of times a year. I am sticking to places where I have friends, for financial reasons. It is very likely that I will spend the new year in London for instance.

But in a couple of years when I am more financially stable, I should be able to dissapear some place really remote, like the far east.

My dream would be to one day have a job that requires traveling, ideally outside of the US. One can always dream... I do know one guy like that, an IT auditor. Last time I saw him, he was on his way to Korea :emoji_thumbsup:.

--
Holadem

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Felix, she loved it. She especially found the people to be open and warm.

I have been to Jakarta (and many other places in Indonesia) many times, though not to live and always enjoyed my time very much. I will admit that Westerners, need to make adjustments in their outlook, but that is true for living in any culture.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Until recently, traveling was pretty much my life during the week. I'm a management consultant, and my motto was pretty much, "Have laptop, will travel." Holadem, be careful of what you wish for. I spent a total of 5 weeks (outside of weekends) at home during calendar year 2002. I spent the majority of the year in Boston working for a biotech, along with traveling to their offices in Paris and Amsterdam. Then some time in NW Arkansas. On the other hand, I have racked up an obscene amount of frequent flyer miles, hotel points, etc. This allows the wife and I to pretty much take free vacations whenever, which we both enjoy very much. However, for some reason, she's not quite the home theater fan that I am.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While we are not globetrotters, my wife and I do love to travel. The past few summers have been spent at some national and Canadian provincial parks -- Glacier (Montana), Waterton (Alberta), Arcadia (Maine), Cape Bretton (Nova Scotia), The Badlands (South Dakota) and the Smokey Mountains (Tennessee/North Carolina). This summer will be our third trip to Yellowstone. We've also been on combination cruise and land trips in Hawaii and Alaska.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Does everybody call Acadia National Park -> Arcadia? My sister is always doing this and I'm always correcting her. :)

I like to travel to places and I like to bike to places, working my way up to a X-C trip sooner or later. There's never enough vacation time to do everything though but fortunately, I am usually able to take no-pay days and stuff.

Leaving to France in less than a week to go see the Tour de France.

Jay

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Yes, I love travelling in spite of the fact that I'm pretty much of a homebody. I don't get to go as often as I'd like, but I've been to France, Germany, Sweden, and Mexico.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I've been to 39 states and just got back from Ireland last night. I love to travel, but it can get awfully expensive...

I'm planning on going to London for a bit in the next few months as one of my friends just moved there (tried to fit in a quick jaunt over for Ireland, but that didn't work out...)

One annoying thing is I'm 24 and I have always liked going to mueseums and cultural stuff (and drinking and partying...) but most of my friends have been more interested in going to the beach and 'spring break' type stuff... I mean, I like looking at girls in bikinis too, but...

Pictures of Ireland : www.billslack.net (with my mom and brother; big brother is moving to Africa for the next two years, so mom paid for most of the vacation. And she likes museums and culture, so it was fun! :))

The HTF trip I went on a few years ago was great too... travel and movies, all combined into one. Does it get any better than that? And, of course, the somewhat infamous picture from that trip :

;)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm a homebody. The Navy burned me out on short-notice travel to nowhere 10 years ago. Now, I like to come home at night, every night, and kick a ball around with my kid. I do occasionally travel on business, but it's not something I really enjoy. I did enjoy a recent business trip to Germany, though.
And, our family vacations seem to be too action-packed with a mad sprint to get home at the end. I blame that on my wife. The last vacation we REALLY enjoyed was in the FL Keys, on a private island resort, with our own hut, on a private beach, facing the ocean. Nothing to do but enjoy the solitude (and a few other things;) ).
So, if airlines are to stay in business, it won't be because of me.

Todd

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
At last count I was at something like 45 states and 30+ countries. They are too hard to count (Do you count east & west germany & a united germany as 1, 2 or 3... don't know the rules). I knew how to order drinks in most European languages :D
I think you get to a point where the phrase, "Been there, done that", comes up.
At 24 you counldn't keep me in one place ....at 42 it's a different story.

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys home theater and travel so much. Great stories! I hope to visit as many states and countries as some of you some day. My wife and I starting counting the states recently and we've been to a few countries in Europe so far. Hope to see Italy next year, and our last vacation was to Phoenix, Arizona and the Grand Canyon. It certainly was a "grand" trip.

Anyone been on a cruise through the Panama Canal? It sounds like an interesting choice to me as well. There are just too many places in the world to visit, and only so much vacation/free time of course.

I'll have to get one of those portable home theaters for those long flights. The mini DVD player and widescreen TV with headphone jack. I think the prices have come down quite a bit since they first came out. Then I can truly combine both hobbies at once :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I've been to 6 countries so far (Ireland, Scotland, England, Bahamas, Canada, and the US of course ;) ).

My next adventure (the last one being my UK trip... which I must say kicked ass) will probably be to Japan. As others have said, I love to travel... but it's too durn expensive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks