Do high end CD players actually make a difference?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Lee, I'd love to be in the jitter test but logistically it isn't viable

I'm surprised this thread hasn't been moved to the source forum.

Chu Gai

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
If Lee provides the CD's I'd be quite pleased to forward them to you Craig shortly after listening. In exchange, some of your upcoming summer weather would be appreciated

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Upcoming? It's well and truly here already :b .
I had to put on leathers and a helmet (to race motorcycles) in 41 degrees Celcius (106 Farenheit) a couple of weekends ago.

Lee Scoggins

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Some research on jitter yielded some results from a fellow engineer:
[Lucid Audio personnel] yielded a number of between 20 and 50 picoseconds. By way of comparison and contrast, I think Apogee quotes a figure of

Lee Scoggins

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
20ps rms, 50ps peak jitter; ppm drift 10ppm typical, 50ppm max
Proof of low jitter specifications on Genx6-96 from the following FAQ page:
http://www.lucidaudio.com/faqs/faq_genx6.htm
Plus, you have my experienced and subjective listening on the sonic difference between this ultra low unit and the Alessis and the difference it makes.
I think if we can demonstrate this on the discs then you can judge for yourself.
If you get good resolution on your own system, I think you will be able to hear it plainly in terms of smoothness and image.

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I have not read through this entire thread yet,so I don't know if its been mentioned already or not,but what about interconnects?I have a Rotel RCD-991 and am using some $400.00 RCA interconnects between the CD player and my pre/pro.I have found that interconnects alone can make a significant difference in sound.I know the DACS are better in my player than whats in my pre/pro so thats why I dont have a digital connection.Most high end audio stores will be very happy to let you take home a pair to audition.I went through three different brands before I settled on apair of Harmonic Technolgy's.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Don't those interconnects cost more than your CD player? We're talking all else being equal. Otherwise, you could add amps, preamps and speakers to the list.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Craig,
RCD-991 sold for RRP $AUS1200... in the States, it was about $US800-900. And for FWIW, high-end cdp's do make a difference (and yes, I will the owner of one- an Accuphase- soon
). Btw, Craig, do I also know you from dvd plaza forum?
Cheers,
Mike

KeithH

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
$400 cables on a $1000 player goes against convention, however, the $400 cables are there should Robert upgrade his player. This way, he probably won't feel compelled to upgrade the player and the cables. I have considered doing something similar. I have two stereo systems. In the better one, I use Audioquest Diamondback interconnects on the better components, while in the other system, I mostly use Monster Interlink 400mkII interconnects. I have considered replacing some of the Monster cables with the Audioquest Diamondback since I am happy with the latter in the main system. However, a better approach, though a more costly one, might be for me to upgrade the Audioquest cables in the main system and then move them to the second system.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Ah! Our dollar has fallen since the 991 was sold!
Still, the rest of the thread assumes everything else being equal else we would be discussing all system components.
I believe we do know each other from the Plaza, Mike

Lee Scoggins

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
However, a better approach, though a more costly one, might be for me to upgrade the Audioquest cables in the main system and then move them to the second system.
Another approach Keith would be to try out some of the new Kimber entry-level interconnects on either system, but ideally to replace the Monster.
The Audioquest is good stuff and from there I might caution you be selective on the next upgrade. Definitely borrow any proposed cables and audition for a day or two to hear how it will sound in your own system.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Robert and Lee:

I sent each of you a private mail. I would appreciate it if you would let me know when you receive it.

Regards,

Larry

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
what about interconnects?
IMO, interconnects make little to no difference. The only time I heard an improvement is when I went from unshielded Kimber to shielded Canare (and even that was so slight, it might have been all in my head). Anything well-constructed with good connectors will do.

-Mike...

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
interconnects make a tremendous difference
I'm sure my experience is more limited than yours, but I have yet to hear a cable make a drastic difference, sighted or not. Like I said "IMO (In My Opinion), interconnects make little to no difference".
-Mike...

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasievbneha