Do HGH supplements really work?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Karl_Luph, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I have heard commercials for a number of years now hawking the benefits when taking HGH supplements. I want to know if anyone here has tried anyone of them out and if they noticed any real improvements.

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Human growth hormone? If that's what u mean, yes it does work but mostly it is prescribed for children seen as dramatically small or not getting into their norm for height. As for adults, I think it wouldn't work as the part where bones "elongate" are already closed or no longer functioning.
    I hope this is what u mean.....

3. Karl_Luph

Thanks for the info Eric,but what all of these new promoters on the radio commercials nowadays are talking about how it can slow or reverse the process of aging on the body of adults,like some of us over 35.The benefits they mention range from having more energy and strength to bringing color back to gray hair.Yada,yada,yada, Sounds good to me if it really works..

4. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

IMHO, forget that and eat healthier and exercise instead[​IMG]

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Most of these claims r unfounded, meaning no real studies down to determine efficacy for its off label use. They probably can be derived from "some" of the growth hormone's other effects. U can do a search on it and u can come up with a dozen of these effects.
    Also, the placebo effect sets in as well. Try giving a "supplement" to anyone and a few days later they'll say its working great.... [​IMG]
    But like Jon says, eating healthier and exercising will do wonders....Haven't really tried that but it definitely works...:b

6. Karl_Luph

I'm still waiting to hear if it actually returns your hair to it's natural color. I've been exercising for years and I still get gray hairs.

7. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

HGh is very popular with bodybuilders. It, combined with steroids is supposed to be very effective. I have not tried HGh myself, but I have read a lot of articles that support its success. Side effects are, well...about the same as steroids. It depends on who is using them (genetics) and how big a dose and for how long.

Sorry Karl, I don't think that it helps with hair colour. [​IMG]

8. Karl_Luph

LOL, thanks Scott, that is the one claim I have a hard time believing, the people promoting HGH on the radio shouldn't say it will return your hair to it's natural color if it really won't. Now I have heard you might notice hair growth where you didn't have any before.

9. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I wouldn't mess with HGH unless you're a serious bodybuilder. I doubt you are since you're asking this question at HTF. What you can do is go and see your doctor and have them test your testosterone levels. If they are too low you can be put on testosterone treatment. Remember to insist on shots instead of pills, much easier on your liver as those pills are toxic.

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"HGh is very popular with bodybuilders. It, combined with steroids is supposed to be very effective."

Its also the reason why so many bodybuilders today have the protruding bellys.

Examples......

http://www.mostmuscular.com/newmuscl...ges/rc01go.jpg
    http://www.zonamuscular.com/albums/a.../coleman39.jpg
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/big/..._menpat447.jpg(How the HELL did this guy win the Arnold classic with a gut liek that. Disgusting. What ever happened to proportion and symmetry?)

The stuff is bad news.

11. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

Just have to say that the golden era was the Apollo physique and our current era is the Herculean physique.

I agree in that I much prefer the Apollo (wasp waisted) look over the Herculean (thick torso) look.

However, both are remarkable acheivements, regardless of our personal preference. It's too bad that the bigger is better mentality has taken over asthetics.

Stay away for HGH! [​IMG]

12. Jason L.

Jason L. Second Unit

They worked great for Lyle Alzado............not.

13. Karl_Luph

Well, the supplements I was checking out were being promoted on the G.Gordon Liddy talk show. I'm sure they aren't as dangerous as the injections.

14. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

That's not a very reassuring statement. [​IMG]

Regardless, if you're checking this stuff out for muscle mass gains, don't forget that all the supplements etc in the world won't lift the plates for you. That's still up to you.

15. Karl_Luph

LOL, guys, I'm big enough as it is,I have absolutely no interest in bulking up,I'm big enough as it is,and at my age,49, I would actually like to just have more stamina and endurance,burn more body fat, and feel healthy and fit.Believe me, most guys at 50 look alot_ worse than me. I really think the ads that are out there on these hgh supplements are more geared towards guys over 35 who just want to have an edge,to have a fit body,& feel good &not interested in being a bodybuilder.