What's new

Do guests pay for candy in your theater? (1 Viewer)

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I agree,
I never charge for anything at my theater. I built it to share with friends and I enjoy having it full of loved ones.
However, anyone who abuses it, by being rude, greedy or messy will find that they don't get invited back. Believe me, there are plenty who love to be invited over, I don't need to put up with those who don't act with respect and manners.

My $.02.

As for granny's candy, I say tell everyone its for display only and not to be eaten. If anyone takes it after that, they are black listed. :angry:

Steve

Glenise

Supporting Actor
The bruch went very well Sunday.
Only one person asked for some candy.
My 5 year old cousin.
I told him he'd have to ask Granny for the candy.
He went and got her and she told him about the free candy.
He didn't get mad.
I'm going to go shopping soon and stock the concession stand with the smaller mini candy boxes. (mostly for my 5 year old cousin).
If my 5 year old cousin gets cavaties, I'll get the blame, so I have to be careful!

In the basement we had all the kids.
Upstairs in the kitchen and family room we had all the adults.
I think that's why adults didn't ask for the candy because they were all upstairs.

This is the 2nd or 3rd year we have had this brunch.
We always (Granny and I) have it the 2nd Sunday in December.
Of course we show movies other times of the year also.
The next time it's normal movie time, I'm sure adults will ask about the candy.
I plan on having some of my own candy in the concession stand by them.
Also, a guy friend of mine brought me "T3" and "Matrix 2" on dvd.
I've already seen "Matrix 2" which I thought was very weird. I like the first one better.
I saw about 15 mins of "T3" last night and was blown away.
I think it's a nice change to have a female terminator.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I don't charge for anything. When ever I have a family, friends or neighbor movie night, everyone is treated to dinner, snacks and drinks. I don't let anyone pay a dime for anything.

Peace Out~:D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Im with the no charge thing.

When invited over to a friends or family place I always offer to bring something... 1/2 rack of beer/wine ect. Always makes it easier for the host who is putting out alot for my enjoyment.

When I have people over they always ask to bring something and I appreciate it. There is alot that goes into having people over. Its nice even if I do not need them to bring anything.

Maybe its just the way my friends and family were raised!

If you have moochers dont invite them... simple as that!

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
Ron-P:
When I entertain, which is rare because I like for my home to be my sanctuary away from the rest of the world, I am the same way. Guests in my home pay for nothing, and I will not take money from them for anything unless something has been damaged or destroyed during their stay and they offer it. If guests bring something, which is appreciated, that's one thing. But where I come from, to ask for a guest to pay for consumables is inhospitable and rude. If my mother or grandmother ever found out they would disown me because they raised me better than that.

Glenise:
If you know beforehand that guests will be rude or abusive, then simply don't invite them to your home. That will get rid of the majority of your problems right there, whether they are friends or family. It may create some disharmony, but so will demanding payment for candy. Hospitality is a two way street, and if someone comes into your home and knowingly abuses yours, they should never be invited back to do so. If the candy in question is for decoration, say no one can have the candy and keep candy that can be consumed. It appears you and your grandmother are doing this, but the statement that your grandmother is worried about the candy being opened and going stale implies it is to be consumed. Putting candy out that isn't strictly for display and expecting guests to pay for it is against all rules of hospitality and courtesy.

I know what you mean about grandmothers though. The only grandparent I've ever known is my maternal grandmother, and she'll be 70 this summer. There are few people on this Earth that I love as much as her.

darron Z

Stunt Coordinator
you have invested alot of money in your theater , you invite relatives and or friends over to watch a movie, they are your guests , any food available should be allowed for them to have . if you have people that just hoard it up, maybe you need to find different friends who would appreciate it, for relatives , after some displays of gross indulgence , you can yell at them and call them cheapskates and make them pay, because after all they are related to you , and thats what relatives are for:)

if you charged people you will be viewed as a major cheapskate. why stop at the candy ? projector bulbs are expensive ! pro-rate the life of the bulb , and charge per hour of use. mine is .40 cents per hour.carpet wear and tear...my carpet was 1500.00 ..... lol:P

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mmm. Of course, normally speaking, one doesn't charge for anything offered when one is entertaining. One problem then may arise if one party is always the entertaining one (e.g. because no-one else has a Home theater).
That could be worked out together, I guess, with all parties involved.

If I understand it well, your grandma is saying: "Those that are for decorational purposes, are not offered for consumption, but if anyone really wants it, let him/her buy it". That's about equal to anyone asking if they can get (keep) one of the plates after dinner. Or have one of your books.

Makes sense to me. And you're right, never underestimate a granny. I'm glad your party went so well!

Cees

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not trying to be mean but cmon it's just candy, candy is dirt cheap. They give it out for free to everyone on halloween. I know that the movie box stuff is more expensive but you can get the same product in regular sizes at costo or other warehouse clubs dirt cheap, let people eat the regular size stuff and keep the other stuff for display, or you can make your own big boxes and fill them with the regular sized stuff if you wanted. But to charge a dollar is just not relly appropriate, Its not a store and you shouldn't try to make profit. even if your guest were pigs, how much candy can one eat without getting sick or tierd of it. Just go to a local wharehouse/wholesale club and buy a couple cases of candy and other refreshments and keep your granny candy for display only.

Glenise

Supporting Actor
That's what I did.
I bought a bunch of fun size candy bars for guests to consume.
Granny also had some free candy on the bottom shelf.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks