What's new

Do "Flat" video cables exist? (1 Viewer)

Jud

Grip
Here in a little while I'm going to be upgrading to a front projection system (either Z1 or Z2 if it's cheap enough). Due to vaulted ceilings, space considerations, and WAF, I'm going to be coffee table mouting it. I'd really like to be able to run the video cables under the carpet (house is on a slab, so no basement to run through).

Does anyone know if "flat" component, vga, or dvi cables exist, similar to how you can buy flat speaker wire?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm afraid not.

A coax cable is really 2 wires:

- Center conductor
- A 'pipe' of wire mesh/foil that surrounds the center wire called the shield.

Because of an issue called impedence, that center wire needs to remain exactly the same distance from the shield all along the length.

This is why coax cables are all round.

You also really, really do not want someone walking on these cables because they will crush over time.

I'm afraid you are stuck with drilling down and running cables under the floor if possible.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I've been interested in this question but what one generally finds are short (meter if that) of flat coax the purpose of which is to run under windows or doors. You might want to try this link which points to a pdf and then search that document for the word 'flat'. Whether this is what you're looking for, I don't know. Maybe the company, BA-Electronics, can provide better information and prices over the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks