What's new

Do film rolls (originals) have value? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I was recently given something... a film roll, as in projector film roll, of the film "King Arthur" .. it's nicely branded and labeled as from Touchstone/Disney, with all the right sources as a "green roll" I have no idea what that means..

Anyway, this item has almost no value to me, didn't care for the movie, don't have a projector, etc.

Are these things worth anything? Or are they even legit to sell?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
It sounds like you have the coming attractions trailer for the film. Trailers for new films are very common, so they aren't worth that much.

You can try to move it out for a buck or two on Ebay, but Disney does not like people selling their property, so your auction may not last.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's probably still the property of Disney. I don't believe they "sell" film prints, but merely "rent" them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Well, the roll says "2 hours, 18 minutes, inc. Trailer #1" so I assume it's the whole thing, or maybe part of it? I don't know. Yeah, I doubt I'll put it on Ebay.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
That would be 2 minutes and 18 seconds - Trailer #1. The film you have is approximately 5 inches in diameter?

2 hours and 18 minutes of 35mm film would weigh roughly 70 pounds and be on 7 14-inch-diameter reels.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Peter is right, you've got a trailer. Those indeed remain property of the studio, and should not be sold. I don't believe disney is one to fuck with on that point.

they're to be sent back, but when I was a projectionist they just sat around in a cabinet until someone threw them out.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ah! That would be it, yeah, about five inches in diameter.

Ok, worthless, well still good to know ;)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the green band just means the trailer is PG, by the way. The house I worked in had a policy of never programming red band trailers, even on r rated features, but red banded trailers were few and far between, think I've seen 2, maybe 3. I have a trailer roll for the grinch around here somewhere... ;)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Someone gave me a trailer reel for the Wes Craven film Shocker. I still have it in a box of keepsakes.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Sell it on Ebay, see what it gets. Disney or anyone else legally getting involved over a trailer reel that goes in the trash anyway is ridiculous. The worst that can happen is Ebay closing the auction and refunding your 20 cents listing fee.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

Eh. Don't know if I'll risk it. This was given to me to "do with what I will" from one of my largest clients, who is in the movie business (they design poster and popcorn bag art, etc.)

So, I don't know if I want to get into that. Just thought it might be something to a collector more then it is to me, apparently maybe not.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ebay will most certainly end the auction, they watch for those. And no they don't refund your listing fee :frowning:

as a sidenote, I've always thought it would be neat to buy an old lamphouse and projector and have a 35mm setup in my theater. Course then I'd need the spendy DTS equipment, and i'd have to change reels, and listen to the projector and rectifier.... oh well

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I saved one of every trailer when I worked in the theater business from 1991 to 2001. I've got literally hundreds of them in boxes at my parents' house. Even if they're never worth anything moneywise, there's probably some that the studios didn't think to save copies of that might prove valuable later. I saved all variations, including ones where they announced a release in the summer and ended up being pushed to Christmas. Interestingly, the trailer for "The Program" has a few seconds of the freeway scene that was removed from the movie during its release and hasn't been seen since.
Someday I'll have a projector and platter system just to show these. I have one full-length 35mm movie too- "Tunnel Vision" from 1976.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

The platter would annoy the crap out of me, I hate the constant varying hum of the payout changing speeds. Though it if tail wrapped you'd be right there :D

I guess if you had a room large enough you could wall off the back and sound insulate it a little, that wouldn't be so bad, but building up and tearing down a film every time you wanted to watch it would get old, and you'd need a table to do it.

Guy I worked with had his own print of blue velvet, and claimed to have one of the original star wars prints, something about having a friend at the depot, I never believed him.

That garage is going to be stinky as the silm starts to decompose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks