Do DVRs (PVRs) allow me to skip commercials when watching "live?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Rochkind, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I don't have one of these, but it occurs to me that if I did, I would start watching TV shows a little late, so I am in effect watching the recording. That way I could fast forward through commercials. For example, I would start watching a one-hour show at, say, 9:20 instead of at 9. (The recording would start at 9, though.)

Is this in fact how these gadgets work?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Yep. We often wait 10 minutes into a program before sitting down to watch. Then we rewind to the beginning and now we have enough buffer to skip most of the commercials.

Or, we simply record the shows and pick the show from the menu later and commercial skip.

These devices are wonderful! Of all my HT toys, the recordable PVR is the only one my Wife has praised/bragged about. Highly recommended.

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Yes Marc, that's how it works. That's the only way it could work, if you think about it. You can't fast forward past "now".

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Wayne- You mean that Superman can't fly around the world in the opposite direction so that we could skip past commercials in real-time? [​IMG] (Couldn't resist...)

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The skip-forward-of-now feature wont be available until Dish launches their tachyon-based/faster than light sat sometime after the merger.
    The only problem is they charge you up front for all possible programming for the rest of your life. [​IMG]

6. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

It will be worth it, if only to get tomorrow's stock quotes.

7. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

"You're looking at now. Whatever happens now, is now."
    "When will then be now?"
    "Soon."
    Sorry guys, couldn't resist the pull of the Spaceballs.[​IMG]