do dvd players sound different

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by allan espinoza, Jul 11, 2002.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

i wanted to know if dvd players sound any different? does one give better sound than the other? i have a panasonic dvd player which i bought back when dvd players were coming out for the first time and since then it has nevr gave me any problems what so ever but i always wandered if dvd players sound any different, as receivers do? if so what brand dvd players do u recommend? is there i need to look for when purchasing a dvd player? thanks for any input

2. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

This should probably go in the Audio/Video Sources forum.

The digital outs on players shouldn't sound different. It's all bits (1s and 0s), so there can't be any quality issues...the sound is either there, or it's not. The analog is another story though, and one that I'm not very familiar with...but since it depends on the quality of the DAC (digital-to-analog converter), it's safe to assume that you get what you pay for.

3. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    As Matt said, the digital outputs should be the same, simply sending out the digital data that makes up the selected audio track.

The analog outputs will sound different, but it's only likely you'll notice this if you have very high-end equipment. In addition, if you're using the stereo RCA outputs, your sound will not be nearly as good as using the digital outputs, since you'll be stuck with Dolby Pro-Logic surround, instead of DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. In other words, instead of worrying about how the unit's analog outputs sound, you should be more concerned with getting a DD or DTS setup and using the digital output.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Moved to A/V Sources.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The difference between most under $1000 players is negligable. However, More expensive players mad e by companies such as Theta, krell, etc, usually have much better transports/ lenses, which can result in better sound. I can definitly say that my newer Denon blows away my old Toshiba. I have heard the Krell DVD standard, and it blows away my Denon.

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

yes, DVD players do sound different. Digital is not so easy as you'll get sound or not. You can get perfectly clocked, read perfectly, un-altered and transmitted perfectly or you can get not.

yes, DVD players do sound different.