What's new

Do DVD players really need to be cleaned? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
After using an Alsop laser lens cleaner disc,I popped in The Nightmare Before Christmas which had only been played once before and worked fine and the disc would not load.I had 3 other people play the disc on 3 different dvd players and still no luck.It could have been dvd rot but I once read dvd players should never be cleaned because you could do more damage than good.Anyone have an opinion on this?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
In my opinion, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Most DVD players don't have vent holes in the top, and as such the lasers really aren't subject to getting dirty. Unless you live in an exceptionally dusty or smoky environment, I would leave well enough alone.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I once destroyed the pickup of a good laserdisc player by using one of those damn cleaner discs. From that I learned my lesson: Don't use 'em.
The situation is even simpler with a digital format like DVD. If the player is behaving normally, then the pickup is reading everything just fine and doesn't need cleaning. If the player isn't behaving normally, a dirty pickup is one of the least likely causes. It's more likely a dirty disc.
IMO, cleaning discs are a gimmick and a waste.
M.

Brian Glaeske

Stunt Coordinator
"Cleaning" is typically one of the features of a service plan at stores like Best Buy.

Overheard one Best Buy guy tell someone "the primary cause of failure in DVD players is that they get dirty."

Ha Ha

Brian

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Like Michael...ditto. You can wreck the pickup...like I did. Those lenses are usually plastic and not glass. They scratch easily (at least that's how it was explained to me).

Bottom line...don't do it.....oh wait, you already did....don't do it again.

You may have to visit the service counter.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
You know how much you don't need to clean a DVD player? I've had one (a sony DVP-300) for I guess 4 years now, which I use aaaaaaallllllllll the time, both for movies, music and VCD viewing (gotta love those $7 VCDs!!) and I've never even considered cleaning it.

DVDs, CD players, LD players simply do not need to be cleaned! (well...OK 99% of the time) This is old oxide thinking!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
BUT I would at least make an effort to keep the player as dust-free as possible. Wiping off the chassis and front panel certainly won't hurt. But definitely avoid those stupid cleaning discs. If your DVDs are clean and dust-free, then so is the player's transport and pickup system.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
A buddy I just sold a piece of equipment to nearly ruined his CLD-79 with one of those cleaner discs. Knocked the lens assembly wacky and appearently cost him 200+ to get it fixed and I'm guessing he was a bit lucky to even be able to do that.

JoeyB

Agent
Dust is usually not a problem. Because the disc spins at a high rate, the air currents generated by normal playing keeps the lens clean. You should watch at least two DVD's a day for optimal cleaning. :b

Robert Woods

Stunt Coordinator
The players CERTAINLY don't require any 'cleaning!' What can happen over time - years - is that the laser beam will not be in its original alignment. By that time, there are usually other reasons to dump the player - but theoretically re-alignment could help.

But as for discs, it does often help to remove the mustard, ketchup, excess pizza sauce and double cheese BEFORE playing.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,

I was going to post something similar, but thankfully it was already started. The reason may be different, though (and maybe a topic for different thread). I have this DVD that I want to watch but when I put it in, it pixelates all to hell. Unwatchable. I was planning on returning it for a new one but a friend wanted to see if it worked in his system and it worked flawlessly. This is the only DVD of mine that does this and it is clean as a a whistle. I thought maybe my player (a Toshiba similar to my friends) was dirty, but thankfully haven't cleaned it. Is there any other possibility when one player reads a DVD fine and the other pixelates? Granted, mine is from 1999 and his is brand new, but I sincerely hope DVD players last a bit longer than 3 years. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Phil

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
I never used a cleaning disk, and probably wouldn't but I DID have to clean my player once. It was near a space heater in my small apartment, which threw out a lot of dust. The player started getting flaky, wouldn't play dual-layer disks, then wouldn't play anything, so I opened it up, and swabbed down the lens with some alchohol. Worked fine after that. Still works great two years later (I have moved).

I wouldn't recommend anyone do this if they are not comfortable, but anyone who tells you DVD players never need cleaning is just plain wrong.

Timon , I agree with you, if you smoke or in a dusty invironment cleaning is needed over time.

I have an old Toshiba 3006 that I bought in March of 97 and it began to have problems playing my dvd's and it would not play my cd's at all.

I opened it up and cleaned the chrome rods the pickup rides on with distilled water and a q-tip. The player works perfectly now on all my disks and cd's.I did not clean the lens while I was in there.

Cleaning is like everything else, it should be done in moderation and carefully, but I believe it is needed if you are having a problem with your player, just be careful.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
but anyone who tells you DVD players never need cleaning is just plain wrong.
I don't think anyone would disagree that, under certain (probably rare) circumstances, a DVD player may need cleaning. The question is how to clean it. And cleaning discs aren't the way.

M.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I have this DVD that I want to watch but when I put it in, it pixelates all to hell. Unwatchable. I was planning on returning it for a new one but a friend wanted to see if it worked in his system and it worked flawlessly
I'd chalk it up to the fact that it's a Toshiba player. My old Toshiba (1999 model) got to where it would pixilate and lock up on most every disc I put in it somewhere in the movie.

I finally got sick of this and replaced the player and moved it upstairs where it only gets used once every few months.

I have a couple of friends with Toshiba players that have reported the same problem with freezing and pixilation. I think it's just the brand and the time they were made.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Crimeny. I hope it isn't just a Toshiba thing (as my friends is also a Toshiba but didn't have the issue). Is there a way to "make it all better" with systems like these? Maybe it does this because it is more open to dust and such? I don't know. I know I can't afford to replace a DVD player for one movie that doesn't work so maybe a good cleaning (non-disk cleaner) would be what it needs.

Ciao,

Phil

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, let me see if I got this right: after your experience, you had three friends test it on their players, and "still no luck." By that, do you mean it wouldn't play on their machines either? If so, it's a pretty safe bet that the fault lies in the disc (or some mishandling of it) and not any damage to the player. If it were the latter, the disc would play on every system but yours.

William_K_F

Agent
Phil Florian,

I had problems with my Pioneer Elite where it was failing on some discs and pixalating or getting stuck. I would tell the video store there was a problem with the disc at first, eventually, it kept happening (not on all discs) and I tried one at the video store, and it worked fine!

I eventually determined it was an alignment problem with the laser. The repair under warrantee resolved the issue.

Your unit may need the laser aligned.

-William

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
William,

Thanks for the idea. I was looking into the Toshiba website and they have a local authorized company to do such repairs. It isn't under warranty, though. Is realignment a very costly process?

Thanks!

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks