Do dish antennas or splitters ever go bad?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Wayne A. Pflughaupt, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    My buddy is having trouble with his Direct TV system dropping out and "pixelating" like crazy. Recently he put in a service call and the guy told him his antenna was probably bad. Is this possible?

He has a dual LNB anntenna with the two wires going onto the attic to a two in-four out splitter, feeding two dual-tuner TIVOs, one in the main system and one in the bedroom. Any chance the splitter could be causing the problem? Can’t say I’ve ever seen a splitter go bad...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It's called a "multi-switch", not a splitter. They very seldom go bad. More than likely it's a corroded F-connector or the LNB is going out. If it's only happening on one receiver, then it's not the LNB. Since they are DVR's, it could also be a hard drive failing.

-Robert

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Thanks for the reply Robert. [​IMG]

Well, my buddy finally got a good tech out, and he tested the LNB and said it was good. Turned out to be the multiswitch, it was 3 years old (it's in the attic). After changing it out his signal strength jumped to 98.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Wayne
    FYI since you tend to troubleshoot like me.
    If 1 LNB went out you'd still have half the channels, that's a fairly unusual problem. 99% of the time it's a connector problem.
    You can tell old multiswitches since they might have the DC input which now comes from the reciever via the coax
    Grant