What's new

Do Denon receivers really not pair well with the JBL NSP1? (1 Viewer)

Throughout my endless perusing of these forums I read a post at some point that suggested Denon receivers were not a good match for the JBL NSP1 speaker package but I can't find it now to re-affirm what I read. Is this true? Or would a 2803/3803 really be a good match for these speakers? I'm now leaning towards the 2803 but the 3803 has the 192/24 DACs. The 2803 has 2 96/24 DACs per channel but I have no idea what that means. Assuming the Denons are good for the NSP1, will I notice a difference between the two or will it be undetectable? I'm hoping for the latter since the 2803 is $250 cheaper. I've auditioned them both but I don't have the ability to audition them with the NSP1? Oh, and how is the fan noise of these units? I deplore fan noise. Any thoughts on any of my above questions? Thanks!

P.S. Will be adding N38IIs later with an SVS sub

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Justin

'don't know much about the pairing of these amps with the JBLs, but what I can tell you is that neither of the Denons has cooling fans, this being achieved by very efficient heatsinks internally

Cheers

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt very much that they are a bad "match" with the JBLs. I don't doubt that recievers do sound differnt but I don't think anyone but YOUR ears can tell you if things "match" or not. Unless someone did a double blind test using identical JBLs, same material and differnt recievers then it just the opinion of one person who may not have like the sound of the Denon, the JbLs or whatever. They may not like the sound of the JBL with ANY receiver or not like the Denon sound with any speaker.

Which one you want of the Denons depends on a number of factors. How big your room is how loud (do you need the extra power of 3803 or will the 2803 be enough. Features, remote etc. Either of those recievers are "good"

If you didn't hear a differnce when testing them on other speakers you won't hear one on your JBLs. If you like the sound of 3803 get that if you like 2803 get that.

I hope I don't come off the wrong way here but I think that while better technology can sound differnt or "better" there are a lot of factors in the chain. Kinda like reacing spark plugs have "better" technology but if you put them in your Sunfire it won't go one bit faster. Same thing with Dacs etc. If you buy a 10,000 CD player and play it though computer speakers it won't sound any better than a regular CD form Wal mart (or at least not much)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
... 2803 but the 3803 has the 192/24 DACs. The 2803 has 2 96/24 DACs per channel but I have no idea what that means. Assuming the Denons are good for the NSP1, will I notice a difference between the two or will it be undetectable? I'm hoping for the latter since the 2803 is $250 cheaper.
DAC's will only matter with the Sound Source's, i.e. DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD: Next-generation digital audio

DAC (Digital to Analogue Convertor):
Quite simply, it does what it says on the tin! The Digital Audio Convertor translates digital information bits into analogue sound information.

digital-to-analog converter : Commonly abbreviated D/A, D/A converter or DAC. A device that changes the sample words put out by a digital audio device into analog fluctuations in voltage that can be sent to a mixer, amplifier, or speaker. All digital synthesizers, samplers, and effects devices have DACs at their outputs to create audio signals, as the transducers in loudspeakers are inherently analog devices.

For more INFO: Read HTF Primer DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD: by Jagan Seshadri

======

Now, since the Denon AVR-2803 is rated @ 90w x7, ... and the JBL NSP1's have been Objectively Benchmarked by Tom Nousaine for Sound & Vision Mag. to have usable and very flat (neutral) frequency from ...

JBL NSP1
Frequency Response***
N-24 front left/right......... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center........................ 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround................ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB

... you should have no problems reaching near Cinema SPL's w/your future SVS & N38IIs!!!

***See the actual Speaker Graph @ my website ( scroll down a bit), ... but if the too many visitor's shut's down my GeoCities webpage, then go Here! (Screen Capture)

Phil

Thanks Phil!

What's the difference between having 2 96/24 DACs per channel i.e. 2803 or 1 192/24 DAC per channel i.e. 3803? Does it have something to with the A/B switching? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks