Do coax cables matter with DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hawk, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Stephen Hawk

Stephen Hawk Auditioning

Last week I had my first DirecTV system installed, replacing my cable service. The installation instructions emphasized that RG6 coax should be used rather than standard cable TV coax. I specifically mentioned this to the slacker installer, who of course had no intention of installing new coax. (I have been in the house 9 years, and the cable coax was here when I moved in.)
    The DirecTV system is working, and I seem to be getting a decent picture. But: will I get a sufficient (or any) improvement for it to be worth the effort and expense for me to replace the coax?

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

There's a possibility that the coax you already had was RG6. Cable companies would want to use RG6 for the same reasons satellite uses it.
    If your picture isn't freezing or breaking up into big blocky chunks, then your signal is error-free and you're getting the picture as good as DirecTV is sending it. Replacing the coax with something better may improve the signal strength and make it a little less vulnerable to rainfade, but once the signal strength is good enough to get a clean picture then the picture quality can't be improved.