Do cigars and HT mix?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeremy:L, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L Agent

I wasn't sure where to post this, so forgive me if it's in the wrong room.

Anyway, for me there's nothing better than kicking back with a good beer, a cigar, and a movie. I'm wondering if there are any other avid cigar smokers that smoke in their HT. If so, how did you address issues like ventilation and odor? I figure a good heavy duty exhaust fan would work great, but they're pretty noisy. At least the ones I've seen. Also, I was thinking of getting an Ozone producing air purifier to eliminate odor, but I wanted to make sure the excess ozone in the room would not have any adverse affects on the electronics. TIA!

2. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

Unfortunately the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor?) probably won't allow me to light up while watching movies but...

I've been playing poker with the same guys every 6 weeks or so for the last 12 years so just last week I was researching this for the basement I'm remodeling as multi-purpose room/home theater. Now's the time while everything all torn up anyway.

I settled on a Fantech (www.fantechfans.com) RVF series fan that mounts on the side of the wall OUTSIDE (so very little noise) with ducts extending in the ceiling to 2 intakes above where we play cards. In my case I have to go with a fan for 4" ducts because of some restrictions as far as where my ductwork has to run. They have 6" and 8" models that move even more air. They also have Heat and Energy Recovery Ventilators - that run hundreds of dollars, are way beyond simply installing a fan and some ductwork, but exhange inside air for outside air and heat or cool the outside air depending on the season. Too much $ and too complicated for me to justify.

The best price I found for the RVF fans was at www.HVACQuick.com - the RVF 4XL fan, 2 adjustable intakes, a backdraft damper, a "Y", all for $208.44 including shipping! The insulated duct they recommend I'll get at Home Depot for about $30.

Can't tell you yet how well it will work - it just shipped today. I'll give it a limited test in a week or so but a true test with the ceiling, walls etc. up is a few months away!

Daryl

P.S. Note - if there is fan exhausting air there has to be some kind of circulation to replace what is being blown out. Both the exhaust itself AND however you allow for circulation (cracked window, open door, etc.) are places where sound will escape or can enter your HT.

3. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

cigars go with everything!
    except if you are married.

4. Jeremy:L

Jeremy:L Agent

Thanks Daryl, I'll check them out.

Joe, believe it or not, my wife actually likes the fact that I smoke cigars. I think it's cause her father always smoked cigars when she was growing up. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. joe rizzuto

jeremy,
    actually my ex used to smoke them also.
    it was one of her better qualities.
    joe

6. Daryl RL

Daryl RL Agent

My wife has a lot of great qualities but you guys are making me jealous.

7. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Jeremy , Aman brother! I smoke black and mild cigars faithfully. And I hate it when my girl or my kids come into my theater, because now that means I have to put it out.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    As much as I love cigars, I will not smoke in my HT. I'll smoke out front by the fire pit, then grab a beer and head in for a moooooovie. The after stink is too much too bear, plus, I like the smell of all the gear and carpet[​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

9. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Ron, for you to be such the beer drinker that I know you are, I can't see how you can drink a beer, watch a movie, and not smoke!! I can't have one without the other. Especially if I'm watching a movie like fight club, where someone is smoking and drink every 3 minutes!

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    One at a time bro, I can't multi-task like that. I'll either spill my beer or burn myself[​IMG]

Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

LOL [​IMG] mmmmmmm Beeeeeeeer

12. joe rizzuto

i guess that i'm lucky - i have a really poor sense of small so the lingering smoke & oder don't affect me.

i use fabreeze or something like it to get rid of the smell for when i have guests over for a show.
    they tell me it works well.

13. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I know this is off topic, but do you guys see the gif's any more? No matter where I log on at, rather it be home or work, all the gif's show up as links. And the only way for me to see what the picture is is to click the link.

Only gif's that show up are the ones from the forum i.e [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Any ideas?

14. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I can see your gifs.... and dead people.

15. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I am actaully in the Cigar Business. As much as I love smoking the leaf, I will never, ever smoke in my Home Theater.... I have seen first hand what the smoke can do to computers in my office, and it's not pretty....

BUT, the other day I was invited to a friends home, with a dedicated home theater room, DLP Projector, big, plush chairs, and smoked a 9 Inch Long Fuente OpusX A. [​IMG] He didnt mind, and he said he only smokes in there 2-3 times a year. I expressed my thoughts, but he made me smoke it!! [​IMG]

16. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

17. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Steve,

This guy made you smoke a 9" Opus?

You poor bastard! [​IMG]

I'm an outdoor smoker. Once or twice a year if company stops by and the urge to smoke hits I'll smoke in the basement where we have a 27" TV. Throw on a game, fire up a rope and drink a little. All my kids toys are down there, so I really try to do that sparingly. I'm more concerned about my kid playing with a stanky "Groovy Girl" than what smoke will do to my 27" Zenith!

Ralph