Do certain speakers work better with laminated flooring?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shana, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

I am having laminated (pergo) flooring put in my house over concrete and was wondering if one kind of speaker was better for that, bookshelf or floorstanding, etc.

Also, any suggestions on a good speaker system for approx. $500?

2. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

anyone? [​IMG]

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

There are no substantial pros or cons to either design in your case. Just get them up on spikes.

-rob

4. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Agreed. I'm assuming the Pergo is replacing carpet. I installed a Pergo floor during the summer over plywood rather than concrete. I use floor standing speakers that have spikes with rubber feet that can be put over them. Spikes will puncture the wear layer on the Pergo very easily. I didn't notice an appreciable difference in sound because the room has area rugs, heavy furniture and bookcases. I was concerned about the lack of carpet creating a hollow sound in the room but it didn't happen. There are a wealth of speakers in your price range but bookshelf speakers on good quality stands may be your best bet. I prefer JBL S38II's at that price range for bookshelf speakers. On stands--not on a shelf--with spikes and something to protect the flooring. Parts Express has good metal stands for about $85 a pair. You may find it hard to come by a good pair of floor standing speakers for $500.

5. Shana

Shana Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information! I found a deal on the net for $115 each for the JBL N38II so I am considering those.