What's new

Do cats have dreams? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, my cat is incredibly intelligent. The best example I can think of is our former next-door neighbor, who used to be my best friend. She was terrified to death of him because he was tall and he took care of her when we went away, so he symbolized us not being there. Anyway, we had him over for dinner not long after his beloved dog Shadow, the greatest dog I ever knew, had to be put to sleep. Instead of running away or hissing like she normally would, she actually starting rubbing up against his leg and purring as if to say, "I'm sorry about Shadow." Almost brings a tear to my eye just typing it.:b

They can and do exhibit very human tendancies, but as soon as they see a bird, or something that doesn't belong, they're primitive mind takes over and they are clearly in full on animal mode!
Tell me about it!! When she was younger, my cat very often took those primal tendencies out on my mom quite often. She's since calmed down a little bit, but when she's on the prowl, she still scares me a little bit. It's quite a wonderful sight to her on the windowsill, muscles tensed, tail beating against the wall, howling at birds or squirels or whatever happens to be stalking out yard.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
cats definitely dream. i often see my cats twitching around - it cracks me up. sometimes, when i know they're sound asleep, i'll raise their arm all the way up then let it fall - it drops like a rock! cracks me up!
btw - i saw a pretty disturbing video once of some unfortunate laboratory cat who was undergoing a test. they cut out the part of the brain that inhibits motor movement during rem sleep - the poor cat was dreaming but was bouncing all over the cage. :angry:

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I hate it when animals are used for absolutely pointless crap like that. They should do the same to the idiot whose idea it was to conduct the experiment.:angry:

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Everytime I see something on TV about using cats for tests or even using them as cuisine in the orient, I feel like reaching through the TV and strangling someone. Cats are the best animals in the world and should be treated as such.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I believe all mammals dream, though the jury may still be out on aquatic mammals since most of them sleep only half their brain at a time. Of course, there’s no way to absolutely know for sure. It’s very easy to anthropomorphize inappropriately, even when interpreting familiar sleep behavior or even brainwave data. Still, I think most biologists would admit they believe animals dream even though purely direct proof cannot be had.

So I’m with the rest of you, and I’m absolutely sure I’m not anthropomorphizing in the least when I say I’m convinced that my dog dreams she’s being chased by radioactive monsters from another planet.

(Besides, I could never anthropomorphize when it comes to my dog. She hates it when I do that.)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Think of what is happening to the great tigers of the wild. Makes me sad. Cats are so vital to life.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Think of what is happening to the great tigers of the wild. Makes me sad. Cats are so vital to life.
it is horrid. My Sifu told us a wonderful story about tigers, that had our dojo laughing, I will save it for a more appropriate time, but you made me think of it. Yes I know this was just a TF:)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Awwwww! My local news just ran a story about some cats who were abused, have been rescued, and are looking for good homes. The one they featured in the story was so cute, adorable, and very lovable (even after the abuse, what a trouper!). I so want to adopt him! Unfortunately, my allergies forbid it. It really sucks to be allergic to your favorite animal and the one that you'd want as a companion. :frowning:

Brad_V

Second Unit
Take a look at the Sandman #17 (reprinted in the Dream Country trade) for a possible answer to that question. The story "A dream of 1000 cats" is kind of interesting.
Heh, as soon as I saw the topic of this thread, I was going to post that. It's a must-read for any cat lover.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I have two cats that were from the same litter. They both sleep on my bed with me. One sleeps by my head, and the other rotates from my head to my feet. Once in a while I'll awake to the sound of hissing which scares the hell out of me. I'll turn on the light and one of the cats will be twitching and hissing. I will wake him up and he will be terrified for the first second and than realize it was just a dream, or nightmare. I wonder if cats realize that they have dreams when they wake up, as humans do, and think about them through their day.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I want one of those genetically-modified cats that are anti-allergen producing. Then I can conduct my own mad-scientist experiments to determine if cats have wet-dreams like we do.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
If my dog can YAWN louder than my ex-husband did every morning, than YES, your cat can dream.

(The sound this dog makes each-and-every morning has got to be heard to be believed!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks