Do cats have dreams?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew_Sch, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Just wondering because my cat (who BTW turned 11 today) occasionally makes noises or bolts up from sleep like she's having a dream. I'll try to post some pics of her when I can.

2. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

According to my vet...they most definitely do...just as we do. My cats moan and move in their sleep all the time. I guess it's just like when we hit the REM stage in our sleep.

TK

3. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Yes, most animals dream. And like us it appears they have both pleasant dreams and nightmares.

I've seen my puppy seem to suckle (long after it was weaned) and then sigh contently and move into a deeper sleep. Also I've seen her suddenly leap up with a look of fear after a nightmare. Our cats are often seen twitching their paws as if chasing something.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

That's weird... ya gotta wonder what they are dreaming about [​IMG]

5. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Maybe your cat is having a nightmare about undergoing his first surgical procedure to remove a cyst near his butt!
    Now that is scary! [​IMG]

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yes my cat used to run his sleep, even meow in his sleep, I would say they definitely dream. [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Casey, our 14-year old male, will occasionally wake up suddenly out of a deep sleep and start crying. The only explanation we can come up with is he had a nightmare.

8. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Oh, most certainly they do.....and they seem just as pissy when awakened from a good one as we do.

9. andrew markworthy

Yes, cats, like a lot of animals, dream. If a certain section of the brain is surgically removed, then they will start running about and doing other actions during the dream part of their sleep, so presumably that part of the brain normally suppresses this activity during sleep and at least part of their dreaming is about running about and doing other feline things [incidentally, I don't approve of the ethics of the experiments done to prove this point].

10. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Take a look at the Sandman #17 (reprinted in the Dream Country trade) for a possible answer to that question. The story "A dream of 1000 cats" is kind of interesting.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

When a sleeping cat's muscles contract, and you can see his whiskers twitching, the little fella is in REM sleep. Yes, they dream. My little buddy dreams of conquest all the time.

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

We have a new kitten and he dreams all the time. In fact, he was sleeping next to me on the couch and he was thrashing around so bad, I thought he was having some sort of seizure. I've seen cats twitch in their sleep.. but not like this guy. Sheesh.

13. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Good call, Chris. A great story from a great series.

And they definitely dream. No doubts at all from me.

14. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I notice that all my cats twitch and do other weird things like meow, and chatter in their sleep. It's kinda funny when they do this so I usually end up waking them up from laughing so hard.

15. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I wonder: Do they dream of electric mice?

16. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I think my cat has that dream where you're falling and you wake up just before you hit the ground all the time. She sits at the end of the sofa with me when we watch movies, and she's always jerking out of sleep just like humans do when we have that dream.

17. andrew markworthy

18. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Hehe heh...

Not in my case. I had that falling dream once, and woke up suddenly when I hit the floor after falling off the top bunk.

19. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Cats are far more intelligent than we give them credit for. My cat 'Tommy' knows what the doorknob does, knows his own name, knows when dinner time is, and even rolls over on command! He's just like a human child sometimes too, like when he's out back playing and it's time for him to come in, i'll go outside to get him and first he'll run from me because he clearly doesn't want to come in yet, and then he'll flop down and start to roll around in the grass as if to say "Look how cute I am John! Please let me stay out a little longer!" We also play hide and seek and he always knows where to find me...behind the bathroom door.

Even when I get angry with him, he has a look on his face like he's hurt that I yelled at him. He'll hang his head and walk and hide somewhere, then a few minuets later he'll come crying at my door for forgivness. It clearly bothers him when I get mad at him.

I think cats are torn between being domesticated, and still having one primal paw in the jungle. They are very selective on what they allow themselves to be bothered by, even my cat doesn't always come when I call his name, probably because he doesn't feel like it. They can and do exhibit very human tendancies, but as soon as they see a bird, or something that doesn't belong, they're primitive mind takes over and they are clearly in full on animal mode!

So yep, cats dream alright.

20. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Hey John! That is a cute story. [​IMG]