Do Blu-rays rot?

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
most of my 78s are OK except a couple which somehow got damp in storage. In some countries kapok was used between thin shellac layers and when the kapok swells, that's the end of the disc. A famous UK 78 collector and restorer, responsible for the great JSP series of jazz transfers to CD, had almost his entire collection destroyed this way.

TJPC

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I used to have a huge collection of 78 classical albums purchased at a second hand store when a music school got rid of their library. They were mostly Columbia and Victor sets.

The Victors were solid shellac, but the Columbia’s were 3 layers with shellac/paper/shellac. I stored them in a huge cupboard while I was away at University.

I returned home to find that sometime in the past my parents wash machine had flooded the bottom shelf! After the mildew was washed off, I found the Victors were fine, but the Columbia played with a swish sound where the water damaged them.

I eventually transferred them to CD-R, but no amount of de popping removed the swish.

I was able to join the music so it sounded like there was no interruption every 5 minutes caused by side changes.

Dick

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Try this if you have a Blu that is having moments of digital breakup or even freezing:

Look at the disc under a magnifying glass. Look really closely. If you notice any very fine speckling, you might be able to salvage the disc. Lay it flat and use a lot of pressure with microcloth, working from the center of the disc to the outer edge. Turn the disc a bit, do the same, until you have "cleaned" the entire surface. Check under the magnifying glass again. If some speckling remains, repeat. You can even add a dash of distilled water on the microcloth. At this stage, what have you to lose? You may find, as I have, that your playback issues have been lessened if not removed. And, of course, try the disc on multiple players and on your computer hard drive. You may need to clean the laser lens.

And, if you do try to make a back-up copy from a disc that you suspect may be developing problems, do NOT put a paper label on it. That will kill it over time, almost guaranteed!

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Real Name
RICK
My Criterion Bluray of The Killing 1956 ! I tried cleaning it with alcohol & Microfiber cloth but it still Freezes and pauses ! I bought it when it first was released. Killers Kiss plays for 1 hour and it Freezes. Why and How does this happen ??? :( :huh: ?? I need a New copy. Is this Bluray Rot ??

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Most Blu-ray discs are actually two discs glued together to double the capacity. The glue between those discs (called layers) can fail, causing microscopic defects that render the disc unplayable. Sometimes it’s just a manufacturing defect, but the way discs are stored by the user at home (for instance, in areas of high heat and humidity, or in areas with wild temperature swings), can create problems.

Criterion is generally pretty good about replacing discs that go bad if it’s still in print. I would recommend going to their website, looking up the contact email, and sending them a note about your disc failing. There is a decent chance that they’ll ask you to send it back to them for a replacement.

• Appreciate
Reactions: Detour (1945)

JediFonger

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i've dealt w/this on/off throughout the years. i had a few (still do i think) those criterion bronzer titles.

if you can successfully back it up on your PC, then it should be fine. but if you can't, even 2 separate optical drive readers... then it's clear the disc is dead. if you can it should still be fine and it might be your playback device.

Bartman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I had 4 or 5 laserdiscs rot out of a collection of about 100. I had 2 CDs rot out of a collection >>1000 (though many years old, they were replaced by the manufacturer). Some of the cheap public domain CD sets from the U.K. had badly pressed discs (I used Nero Disc Checker to check these for errors before playing for the first time). I've had some Netflix DVDs that skipped due to scratches (sometimes cleaning the disc helps, sometime cleaning the laser helps, sometimes nothing helps!). Never had a rotted DVD or Blu-ray (yet). It helps to have multiple players (and a PC with disc checking SW) to isolate the problem to the disc or the player. I assume pressing technology improves with each new generation of disc?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Todd Gilchrist