What's new

Do bits matter for CD playback? (1 Viewer)

VinhT

Second Unit
I'm in the market for a new CD player and am a little perplexed by the XX-bit specification. I noticed that some 18-bit players are more expensive than some 20-bit and 24-bit players. Choosing among 18, 20, and 24-bit players, is this something I need to concern myself with? Or does it not matter?

I did a search on HTF and Google, without much luck. All I found was that there may be a signal-to-noise ratio difference.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
The Compact Disc Digital Audio format encodes audio as Pulse-Code Modulated samples of 16-bit word length. Although cheaper CD players often employ a high-speed single-bit Digital to Analog converter, such solutions are imperfect; a 16-bit D/A is really required for accurate playback. Unless you have a collection of so-called "HDCDs", which stuff extra data into the CD structure while retaining playback compatibility with standard discs, more than 16 bits are unnecessary; some manufacturers employ D/A devices with a greater word length, and mathematical techniques of more or less fidelity to map the CD-DA word to the converter word. There are advantages to this technique if extensive audio processing is being done in the player, but otherwise I would not expect it to be very useful [and it could in fact produce poor results].

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
processing in higher bits just allows the DAC to push the fierce HF freq filter to be applied at a much higher, and hopefully less audible frequency. I think this is well explained in the Guide to High End Audio, if i recall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks