Do banana plugs increase audio quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff peterson, Nov 27, 2001.

1. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Since they would effectively increase the surface area contact between the speaker wire and receiver connection.

I've just added the RS gold plugs to my Yammy/Klipsch setup and I'm hearing noticeably cleaner sound and separation. Of course, YMMV.

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    Banana plugs shouldn't really make anything sound better, because they're just one more link in the chain. They're more for ease of connecting than anything else. And they do reduce oxidation of the copper wire - which may play a small role in sound quality over time.....Of course, the manufacturer will tell you they're supposed to make things sound better [​IMG]
    -Ryan Dinan

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I agree with Ryan. Banana plugs shouldn't degrade the sound quality, but I don't think they improve it either. As Ryan said, banana plugs are convenient. That's why I use them.

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

its impossible for bananas to improve the sound...what they can do though is stop the sound from getting worse. Oxidation of copper often casues the signal to be degraded and thus sound worse then a clean connection. If the sound improved when you added the bananas it wasn't the banana's the improved the sound but likely the fact that you now have a solid connection to the speaker wire...ie no corrosion getting in the way. If you installed the new connectors properly you should be able to maintain this good connection where as bare wire would corrode and slowly degrade the sound

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have to disagree with 2 of the above posts. Banana plugs DO NOT have an advantage over bare wire with respect to oxidation degrading the connection. This is because the use of bananas maintains the very same bare wire to gold connection- its just moved from the speaker post to the banana itself. Unless of course the wire is soldered into the banana.

7. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

One little caveat if you are using the RS gold banana connectors. On the ones I have seen, the actual banana connector is itself screwed into the base unit much like a lightbulb goes into a socked. Be sure to check that the screw-in portion is solidly seated into the rear portion of the connector. Otherwise, you so carefully made a good tight connection between you newly stripped wire, but end up with a less than tight connection between the base and the banana plug itself.

If you made connections to the speakers with just bare wire, always go back and recheck how tight the wire nuts are after a few days of making a connection. Many times I've noticed that they are shockingly loose despite my making them plier tight several days earlier. Once the binding posts are retightened at a later date, they seem to stay tight indefinitely. I suspect this is due to the wire strands not fully deforming at the orignal tightening.