Do any over-the-counter teeth whiteners really work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Z, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I've worked over 32 years to get my teeth this particular shade o' yellow, but I am thinking about changing that. I am curious to know if any of these teeth whitening strips actually work long-term to make teeth look healthier and whiter.

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Me Too!!

3. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I used Crest Whitening strips on my 38 year old cigarette stained teeth. There was a noticable difference, but calling my teeth white would be an exaggeration. They're brighter, they ain't white. The biggest complaint about this product I have is that they don't whiten evenly.

If you have the money and interest in whiter teeth, going to a cosmetic dentist and having them done professionally is a better way to go IMO.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

My two best friends swear by Crest Whitening Strips. They even told me that their dentist highly recommends it over the traditional way of getting it done (professionally) unless you have serious stains (i.e. if you smoke).

The problem with these strips is that it can induce temperature sensitivity in your teeth. If your teeth are sensitive to begin with, you'd better consult your dentist first. Hell, consult him anyways.

The package warns that it won't help in all cases. I'd figure that if you smoke, it won't help much, as smoking sucks the healthy color right out of your teeth.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

6. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I used the Crest White Strips last year. I was not religious about using them, but I did seeing a definite difference in my teeth shade. They were not bright white, but did have a lighter shade to them. I would recommend them.

Paul

7. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Go to:

http://www.dentist.net/whiteningtrays.asp

These are the same professional trays that are fitted to your teeth that dentists use. I used these over the summer and my teeth got practically "movie-star white" -- I get compliments all the time and they're still white 6 months later.

I tried the whitestrips but wasn't happy with them. $120 is ALOT cheaper than the dentist...

8. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

Great thread Robert! I've been trying to decide the best way to do this for several months.

Matt_R - the site looks very interesting. Which kit did you use?

Also, did you spend $120 total or did you have to buy more whitener throughout the summer? I'd be interested in the total cost, which I'm guessing is more than $120, but still less then doing it at your dentist.

9. Matt_R

Matt_R Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

Yes the $120 kit included enough solution to whiten my teeth -- only $30 or so for more solution.

They send you some silly-putty like substance to make a mold of your teeth (and I messed up the first time but they give you extra knowing that many people do) -- it dries QUICK so be careful to not mess up for than twice and you'll be fine [​IMG]

Then send you an envelope postage paid to mail the mold back and I had the fitted trays within 10 days or so.

I couldn't be happier with the results -- especially for the $$$

10. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

well i just finished the Crest Whitestrips yesterday and I have to say they suck,for me anway. Really no difference at all not to mention they are a pain to wear. Couple of my friends had the same experience also. YMMV

11. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

12. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

13. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Just called BriteSmile, the procedure costs around $600.
    Ouch.
    I thought similiar procedures were like $200.
    I have the crest strips but havent used them as of yet.

14. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I use a Sonicare toothbrush and my teeth are quite white and I am a smoker and I drink lots of soda. Most of my family now uses a Sonicare as well and they all have noticed that there teeth are whiter. Plus it is just a great toothbrush. I used to get a lot of cavities and since I started using the Sonicare (probably 6-7 years ago) I think I have gotten 1 or at the most 2 cavities.

15. Mark_Mac

Mark_Mac Stunt Coordinator

I did the Britesmile about 2 months ago as a gift to myself for going 2 years without a smoke. It was $400 at the office I went to. I didnt think my teeth were that bad but I actually dropped 19 shades in the one hour treatment. I know its expensive but for me it was definately worth the money. I also agree with Chris Moe, the sonicare toothbrush is great and britesmile recommends using one to keep your teeth white.