What's new

Do any of you order so many movies that you forget and order the same one twice? (1 Viewer)

Brian_J

Second Unit
I almost did this twice within the past week.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
rolleyes.gif
. . . . .
laugh.gif

I can't say I have!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I almost did once. Now, I just peruse my open orders and order history before I choose a title. That way, I am sure I don't have it ordered already.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
By trade I am a data processor. I manipulate data in all forms: straight data dumps via SQL-to-text, spreadsheets and pivot tables, relational databases and queries, graphs, reports, etc.
As you can imagine, I "practice" on my various collections, and I give my DVD collection the most attention. I have an elaborate 9-tab MS Excel spreadsheet that I use to track my collection. I use one tab exclusively to track all my "Wishlist" items, and it is organized by Title, Year, and Release Date (amongst other items). Nothing gets bought unless it's on that list. Nothing goes onto the main inventory unless it is cut from the Wishlist tab and pasted onto the inventory tab.
When you have over 750 discs in your library, it's the only way to be certain you don't duplicate! :) METICULOUS ORGANIZATION! (see? there's a certain usefulness in my anal retentiveness!
laugh.gif
)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've done this a couple of times. Sometimes I'll forget I pre-ordered a title, and will pre-order it again from another online dealer (usually at 3 am when suffering severe brain fade.)
A couple of times I've found a title at a local b/m a couple of days before street date and bought it even though I have it on pre-order, just so I can get it a day or 2 early.
Luckily I always find someone at work who'll buy the extra copy.
Now that many titles are selling for the same at BB during the first week of release as they do online, my online purchases have declined drastically. Also I used to be able to count on new releases from online sources arriving the Monday before street date. Lately they arrive Thursday or Friday after street date.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Only when I do not have my master list with me. I keep my list on an excel spreadsheet also, and code it with every pre-order and purchase. The only problem I run into is when I am at a retail store and don't have the list. Then I am prone to purchasing the same disc twice. My collection is in excess of 900 DVDs and I have about 200 to catch up with viewing.

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
David & Neil: Sounds like you guys need to check out http://www.dvdprofiler.com

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
David, I keep my collection (modest by comparison at 189 with 11 incoming) in a similar fashion. I did receive a dupicate Psycho (1960) but was able to trade it.
More recently, I ended up with two Akira tins due to concerns that Amazon would exhaust their supply. Anyone wanna trade :) (I know, wrong forum)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I don't pre-order much anymore, so this isn't a problem for me, but in the hey day of cheap online DVD deals, this was a problem, but I got religious in using DVDTracker whenever I placed a pre-order, and consulted it when I was placing more pre-orders. :)
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I used to have this problem, but since I switched to using DVD Empire exclusively, and keeping track of everything with DVD Profiler, life has been good.
------------------
--
Donald Roeber
Generating 2048 bits of randomness...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I almost bought Sanjuro with my Best Buy Preferred Coupon this weekend. Luckily they were out of stock. When I got home I looked at my collection and sure enough, there it was! Phew!~

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
No, but I did spend an evening last week looking around the house because I wanted to watch the 15 minutes DVD which had arrived a few days earlier. Cue argument with my wife etc, etc.
Imagine my embarrassment when it arrived in the mail the following morning. A few DVDs had arrived that week and I mixed up what had shipped and what had arrived. Still, my wife is almost talking to me again
blush.gif

Don
------------------

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've considered DVD Profiler and other similar systems. Two reasons why I don't do it:
1) Those "canned" programs don't have near the ability to look at different aspects of my collection that my own spreadsheet can. It's custom-tailored just for me.
2) I have FUN doing it my way!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(like Scotty enjoying it when he catches up on his technical journals)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
Steve_Widescreen.jpg

(Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

James Reyes

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa!! I am not the only one. Like you, David, I track my CD's, DVD's, LD's, and vinyls in Excel spreadsheets and have tabs for my currently owned discs, my wish list and any pending pending purchaes (for internet orders I have placed but haven't received). I use Excel to track so much stuff friends think I am crazy. I think Excel is the damn most practical computer application ever. I can't live without it.
Oh, and to prevent duplicate purchases of anything, I'll sort my collection by title or artist and print it out before I go DVD or CD shopping. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks