What's new

Do any of you have problems with your dogs being afraid of thunderstorms? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I have 5 dogs, but only 2 of them, Jade my boxer and Rosie my pug are afraid of them. Jade just goes nuts trying to hide and Rosie hides in a corner and shakes. I have to be there to pet them and talk to them to calm them down. They act like they are being abused and having firecrackers thrown at them, but they've never been through either. I do my best to help through it.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

Yes, and I am too. :) Yesterday as our late afternoon storm brewed up, I stood on my front porch watching that 70ft Pine in my front yard swaying back and forth......one day that sucker's gonna fall.........

Meanwhile 2 out of 4 dogs were quivering under the bed.

Don Black

Screenwriter
My late dog was terribly afraid of them. She would run upstairs and hide in the master bathroom (we never knew why). We did our best to comfort her (usually involved beef treats).

Mark Philp

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark
My dog "Seamus" gets really upset at thunderstorms. We had massive ones the last two nights and he paced around panting and would shake when he heard the thunder. I've had two other dogs. One got so frightened that she'd hide in a closet, but the other one never had trouble, she'd sleep right through the worst storms. From other people I've talked with, I'd say most dogs get upset at thunderstorms.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my dog is afraid of everything. Strangers, bumps in the night, me when I'm angry. She also gets excited or nervous and pees. REAALLLLY REALLY annoying. :angry:

at night she'll hear something and bark at it, really quietly so as to not anger it, then come hide behind me like "go check it out, k? I'll keep the bed warm!"

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My dog is afraid of thunderstorms. During a thunderstorm she won't leave my side. Wherever I go in the house she follows never letting me get more than a couple feet away from her. She'll even follow me into a closet or the bathroom.

Zack<P>

Agent
only problem with my dog is she refuses to go outside and use the bathroom whenever it rains . thunderstorm or not got rather annoying standing outside in the rain waiting for her to do her bussiness .

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
We only get a coupla thunderstorms a year in Fresno and they've never bothered my little dog. When I got my first subwoofer and played the engine room scene from Titanic she jumped up next to me on the couch and shook like a leaf! That was several years ago and she's since gotten used to the sub.

I have had to be very careful when playing video games or watching Faux news, however. If I become noticeably angry or frustrated she doesn't understand that I'm not mad at her and becomes extremely frightened.

She is fearless when it comes to human-made noises outside, going into furious-barking-lemme at 'em mode at the tiniest sound 99% of the time. The paper delivery person gets holy hell every morning. The one exception is pizza delivery people. She'll bark until the door opens then sees the big box or smells the pizza and falls immediately in love with the guy or gal. Of course little bites of pizza crust are her favorite treat.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
fedex brought me a couple boxes last week, she came to the door with me to see who it was, he gave her a dog treat, then after she took it she growled at him!
What kind of gratitude is that?!?

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
My parents' dog is awful when it comes to storms. This came on rather suddenly a few years ago. She used to be fine, but my mom came home one day after it had stormed, and Sammy was a mess. She had tried to get out of her cage because she was so frightened by the storm, and in the process ripped out several teeth and claws. Shortly after that, a storm hit unexpectedly, and before my dad could get home to let her out of her cage, she had had diarhhea all over the cage, and had lost another tooth.

For a while, they tried leaving her out while they were gone and expecting bad weather, but she managed to lock herself in my old bedroom and ripped up the carpet, tore a hole in the door, and peed all over the place. The vet prescribed valium for her, but that didn't work. If we suspect storms and my parents are going to be out, they either leave her in the sunroom (if they're only going to be gone a short while, or if they're at work), or have me stay at the house (if they're going to be gone for the weekend, or more than just a few hours). She's fine in the sunroom, or if she has the run of the house, but if she's in her cage (they have to use the cage because she's 14 and has the occasional accident otherwise) or a shut room, she goes nuts.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
My dog is terrified of storms. He will want in bed with us during a storm, and you can tell how bad the storm is by how high up he lays with you. Normally, he lies by our lower legs, near the calfs. A slight storm gets him mid thigh. A normal storm will move him up to your elbow. And a bad, loud storm gets you a fur hat, with a constant panting in your ear, and the occasional lick to see if you're still awake.

Several years ago, we had a tornado warning, so we went into the basement. After that night, if we are gone, Binkley goes into the basement during a storm.

And, speaking of subwoofers, right after I got mine, and had watched some movies on it, I came home to find a large pile of Binkley's opinion right in front of the subwoofer.

That's my boy!

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
My spaz dog is not afraid of storms but she thinks that someone is trying to attack us. She goes into patrol mode (prancing around the house stopping for a couple of seconds at each window) and barks her "hey there is someone in front or at the door" bark (which is very loud and authoritative). So if it happens during the night there is not a lot of sleeping going on.

Laters,
Jeff

StephenA

Screenwriter
It's funny, right after I made this thread I had a thunderstorm here. Since my mom was next door doing stuf, Rosie refused to leave my side. She was shaking like a beeper put on vibrate the whole time. Every time lightning would light up the sky she'd wince. It was crazy, but I tried to keep her calm.

Scott W.

Second Unit
My late dog Sandy would shake really bad and go hide in the upstairs bath-tub. I really know no reason as to why.

Scott

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
"I had a dog who whenever there was a thunder storm he'd try to dig under the carpet... I took him to the vet and she prescribed tranquilizers, little dogie-downers', they tasted sorta minty... Now whenever there is a thunderstorm my dog STILL tries to get under the carpet, but I just don't care"

-Gary Shandling

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks