What's new

Do any of you ceiling mount your front speakers? (1 Viewer)

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
Does it mess up sound relative to the action on-screen if you ceiling mount your front speakers? If consistency with the center channel is an issue then what if I also ceiling mounted that at the same level? I'm moving into a new house and I just can't figure out any other way to set up the speakers for HT.

Here's a picture of the living room:

Since we don't want the back of furniture facing the fireplace we are putting the TV in that space just to the right of the fireplace so we can face both the TV and the fp. Just to the right of that is the entrance to the kitchen and just to the right of the kitchen entrance is the back door. So as you can see that severely limits where I can put the front speakers. I'm definitely mounting the rears on the ceiling or wall. What would you do? If you have any other ideas aside from ceiling then keep in mind that it must be fairly unobtrusive and "wife-friendly." The speakers that I'll be mounting will be either BIC Venturi 62 bookshelfs or Fluance SV-6's. Thanks.

brad cook

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
That is definitely a tough one. Where will you be sitting in the room ? Will you be looking directly at the fireplace or will you sit at an angle facing the tv? If you have the center channel directly above the TV, then where will you put the right main?

I wouldn't ceiling mount the front array. It would sound like your screen should be up on the ceiling with the speakers. I don't think it will work for you. It looks like you have a closet directly to the right of the opening to the dining area. Is that correct?

Michael

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
That's not a closet, it's the back door. Next to that is a bay window.

We'll be sitting more or less at a slight angle to the fireplace and pretty much directly in front of the TV. The sofa will be backed up against the back wall across from the TV. There's no way I'm just not going to have surround sound. Even if it's not the greatest I've got to come up with something. Maybe I could get some kind of shelf that puts the TV up higher so it doesn't seem so strange that the sound is coming from up there. I was thinking I would put the right front right above the back door, above and just to the right of the entry to the kitchen. This layout really kinda sucks. I hadn't previously considered the entertainment dilemna.

I need help!!

brad cook

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
The ideal solution would be for me to find 5000 bucks and put a plasma screen above the fireplace mantel with the center channel right below and the fronts on each side.

brad cook

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
Gonna have to be a pretty small TV to fit in that space. No other rooms available to use for your setup? You're gonna have a tough time with that room the way you're planning on doing it.

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
That space is 46.5 inches wide. I could fit a wide-screen rear projection Hitachi 48" TV in there I believe (I measured it at Sears the other day) but I don't really have to worry about that right now as I've only got a 27".

I may start trying to work out fitting things in there some other way but it's going to be a tough sell on my wife. IF that's what I really, really want to do she'll most likely go along with it. I don't know. Personally I also don't like the aestetics of cutting off the fireplace by putting the back of the sofa to it and facing the other way, but in Central Texas we're going to be watching movies a lot more than we are going to be burning fires.

brad cook

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Ideal solution is a pull down screen in front of the fireplace. Not sure, looks like light control would be an issue in that room though.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Robert has a good suggestion. Plop a RPTV right in front of the fireplace and problem solved. If you need a fire, get one of those fireplace dvd's. I can see the romance kindling in front of the RPTV already.:b

Michael

Brad_See

Stunt Coordinator
I've been discussing it with the wife last night and today and I think we've reached an agreement on a change. It's not ideal but ideal in this living room would be hard. We're going to put the TV/entertainment center all the way across the room facing the fireplace with the couch and loveseat facing each other going parallel across the room on each side of the entertainment center. I don't know if that's a good description but I think it will work ok. Then I'll just ceiling mount the rear speakers and put the fronts and center in a typical setup. Should be good to go except the seating won't be smack in the middle of the sound but it's better than what we had before. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

brad cook

skip marr

Stunt Coordinator
I have no problem with ceiling mounted speakers for the L & R. I have a vault in our hearth room with the front L&R in the ceiling, the rear L&R in the wall about 6' high, and the center over the TV, and the sound is spacious. You should look into SpeakerCraft Aim series or Niles - they also have some aimable ceiling mount speakers that sound very good. The in walls are vastly imporved, wife friendly, contemporary, and sound great with a good sub.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks