Do any DirecTV receivers allow you to map local channels into the 01-99 channel area?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Preston Durrer, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Preston Durrer

Preston Durrer Auditioning

I've been a DirecTV customer for a number of years, and may be buying an additional receiver soon. This feature, if it exists, would be very useful.

2. Keith AP

Keith AP Extra

Preston,
    With the local channel package, all the locals automatically map to their respective local channel numbers (4, 7, 9) on all my Hughes receivers; E25 and E86.
    The Hughes E86 (HDTV receiver) additionally lets you specify local cable and OTA sources using zip code for automatically setting local channel numbers. For example, the E86 also adds the local assigned channel numbers for the digital channels (which I can't receive but they show up anyway).
    Hope this helps - I don't know of any that let YOU map the channels.
    ------------------

3. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

My DirectTivo allows this.
    ------------------
    Ben

4. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

You need a DirecTV Plus reciever to get the local channels remapped to the under 100 range.
    I think everything sold today is one.
    A plus receiver is also needed to use an oval dish to see more than one satellite (though a plus receiver does not need to be hooked up to a oval dish if your station are all on the main satellite).

5. Preston Durrer

Preston Durrer Auditioning

I think I left out an important piece of information in my question. I can't obtain DirecTV's local channel package in my area. Can any receivers map local channels obtained from a terrestrial antenna?

6. Keith AP

Keith AP Extra

My Hughes E86 (HDTV receiver) lets you connect a terrestrial antenna or cable and scan the NTSC channels into the Advanced Program Guide. The channel numbers are the normal one or two digit numbers.
    ------------------

7. Bill Hollifield

Bill Hollifield Auditioning

I would like to think that any D* receiver that supports the APG feature would permit you to map your local channels. I have the Mits HDTV STB connected to a roter antenna and have local channels from two area codes mapped into my unit. The APG is a nifty feature that has been very responsive to reviewing the locals, including HDTV, as well as D* program material from one source.
    WildBill
    ------------------

8. Bob Jackson

Bob Jackson Stunt Coordinator

I am pretty sure the DirecTiVo (an APG box) will only allow you to add stations DTV carries.
    All the HDTV boxes have OTA tuners (HDTV and NTSC) and will allow you watch an antenna feed.
    Do the APG HDTV boxes really carry guide data all the OTA stations for an area that DirecTV doesn't offer locals? And all of the stations in areas it does carry a few of the local stations?