Do any Diet Pills really work?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, May 10, 2005.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Just curious if anyone had been stuck in a diet that wasn't going anywhere, and then tried a diet pill combined with exercise, and suddenly started loosing weight..

As I've posted before...I've been dieting/exercising since October of last year. I lost 15 pounds in the first two months, and have managed to keep it off ever since . I
    lost maby 5 pounds more after that, but I've been stuck at 245 ever since. I want to loose at least 40 more pounds.

I was thinking of trying the Sylvester Stalone diet product line, or Cortislim, to see if it would help, because so far just plain exercizing hasn't worked. I do 50 minutes a day on the treadmill, roughly 400 caleries a day. Sometimes less around 200 a day. I eat roughly once every three hours in medium sized portions. I usually start with 3 hard boiled eggs in the morning, About 100 calories worth of Ziti in the afternoon, a snack like bread at around 3, and stringbeans and/or carrots around 7.

Just wondering [​IMG]

2. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Yes, there are diet pills that work but you're better off without them. If you've hit a plateau then it is time to revise the diet and exercise routine. When it comes to exercise, variety is important, don't get stuck doing the same routine day after day.

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

That might be worth a try... I've been doing the Treadmill since January [​IMG]..

4. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

hormone replacement therapy>>>

I've heard about that on the radio. Not quite sure what it is, but I'm at 26, so maby I don't fit into that category?

6. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Lifting weights is a great way to lose fat. The muscle you gain in its place burns a lot of calories by itself. Keep the treadmill as a warmup routine (or try a stepper or rowing machine) and hit the weights after 10 minutes.

7. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was looking at the hormone replacement therapy. I don't think I have low Testosterone, but there where three things in the other that caught my eye..

>Decreased strength and exercise tolerance>>>

No decrease of strength, but Sometimes I'll feel like going ten minutes on the treadmill, when others I could go for 40.

>>Weight gain, especially around the waist >>
    I definetly have a spare tire around the waist.

>>Thin and dry skin
    I also have psoriasis(sp), but the new medication I've been taking has cleared it up considerably...

I'll have to ask the doctor about this next time I'm in. What's the process in determining if you need HRT, and what's involved once it's determined?

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I was looking at the hormone replacement therapy. I don't think I have low Testosterone, but there where three things in the other that caught my eye..

>Decreased strength and exercise tolerance>>>

No decrease of strength, but Sometimes I'll feel like going ten minutes on the treadmill, when others I could go for 40.

>>Weight gain, especially around the waist >>
    I definetly have a spare tire around the waist.

>>Thin and dry skin
    I also have psoriasis(sp), but the new medication I've been taking has cleared it up considerably...

I'll have to ask the doctor about this next time I'm in. The Bloddtests also showed a high cholesterol level and high sugar count, but I've been cutting back on the sugar intake and Cholesterol for the last few months, so hopefully those levels should go down..

9. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Sami is right -- weight-lifting will definitely help you in the long run. Check out the Summer Workout discussion for more info.

Use this page as a guide to exercises and their corresponding calories burned. I'm pretty sure these values include your basal metabolic rate. Check this site for a starting point on how many calories you should eat per day (another quick estimate is 10x your weight, if you're goal is fat loss). It also has a great database of nutritional data for all kinds of foods.

Just a suggestion ... on the eggs, try eating just the whites. The yolks have a lot of fat and cholesterol that you just don't need. Cook an egg-white omelet or try making your own egg mcmuffins. Just microwave a couple egg whites in a bowl for about a minute (be careful they don't overheat and "blow up"). Then put them on a toasted english muffin and maybe add a slice of fat-free cheese.

With ziti and bread ... are those enriched or whole-grain? You want to try to eat breads low in fat and sugars. Carbs are okay in moderation.

Check out these sites for more helpful info:

John Stone
    Exercise Instruction & Kinesiology

10. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

The yolk also has all the vitamins and minerals so if you're already on low-fat diet and cholesterol isn't a problem then there isn't a reason to skip the yolk.

http://www.peteandgerrys.com/nutrition.php

MYTH: Egg yolks are high in fat and contribute little else to the diet.
    White HenFACT: Egg yolks contain 45% of the egg's protein, numerous minerals, and the majority of the egg's vitamins. And they provide all of this for only 59 calories (a whole egg has 75 calories) and 4.5 grams of total fat, 1.5 grams of which are saturated fat.

Neil, if you're only 26 then hormone replacement therapy most likely isn't the thing for you. It doesn't hurt to ask the doc for blood work but I doubt it would do any good other than a good comparison readout for future monitoring.

11. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

To each his own, I suppose. I'd rather get vitamins and minerals elsewhere and skip the cholesterol and fat. For me, I'm trying to limit my fat to 40g/day (20%). So 5g/yolk does add up.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

13. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Vitamins A, D, E and K are all fat soluble so you can't take them in without fat.

The point was that the yolk isn't a bad thing on a balanced diet. If you need lots of protein without taking in excess calories from other sources (fat, carbs) then eating only the egg whites is something to consider. In other cases, the yolk is a good nutritional source, and it's the tasty part of the egg too.

Eat a diet high in fiber. That's a sure way to lose fat.

14. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

REason I started eating the eggs, sometimes hard boiled, sometimes scrambled, is that I saw a show on the Food Network about a guy who started eating eggs and helped him loose a bit of weight in the process. I've been starting this for a bout a week now [​IMG].

15. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

In the morning, don't skip your bowl of oatmeal with the eggs.

16. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Actually, never tried Oatmeal before. Dunno if I'd like it or not..

17. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

It all depends on how much you would like to lose the weight. Oatmeal is one of the best things you could eat. Just get the unflavored kind and sweeten it with berries or splenda.

If you don't like it, try something like Weetabix with skim milk. High carb/fibre intake is important at the early hours of the day. Just make sure it is complex carbs, not simple. As a rule of a thumb the more fibre, the more complex the carb is. Most Americans lack in fibre intake BIG time.

18. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

^ I recommend steel cut oats for oatmeal. Great stuff and very simple to make. I use AB's overnight oats and works great [​IMG]

If you don't want to spend 45 minutes or a night making the oatmeal then go w/Quaker rolled oats.

..just stay clear of "instant" oatmeal.

Todd B

19. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I was always curious if that Cortislim works. I wonder if any legitimate group has done any studies of it.