Do anamorphic lenses on a 4:3 projector do anything for non-anamorphic ws content?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricardo C, May 5, 2002.

1. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Today I learned yet another new thing regarding front projectors... Lens use. I love the idea, since the projector that's keeping me up these days does not have a native 16x9 mode. However, I'm unclear as to whether or not an Isco/Panamorph/etc. lens will do anything for my letterboxed (but non-anamorphic) movies, such as Titanic, Pretty Woman, or my SW laserdiscs.

Also, is there any drop in quality when projecting through a lens as opposed to using the 4:3 PJ "as is"?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You should remove the lens for non-anamoprhic titles, it will just distort them. The resolution you will gain will offset any loss of light that's happening by going through another lens.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Thanks, Jeff [​IMG]

4. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

An alternative to removing the lens for non-anamorphic material is to "anamorphosize" the image before sending it to the projector. Basically your display source pre-stretches the non-anamorphic image vertically before sending it to the display, so that it "looks like" an anamorphic source.

This is easy to do with an HTPC, or an external video doubler/scaler. The Panasonic RP91 can also do this for DVD's.