What's new

Do Americans really believe that Canadians pronounce "About" as "Aboot"? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
How do y'all pronounce "Baltimore"? I've heard it pronounced 2 different ways:

Bal-tah-more
Ball-more

CharlesD

Screenwriter
AT this time of year I am always amused by the number of Americans who seem to think that there is a 'p' and a 't' in "Wimbledon".

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I finally got my dad to believe he had a southern accent by making him listen to his answering machine greeting.

He finally heard it, "my God, I sound like a hick".
(he isn't) but I said, "That's what I've been trying to tell you".

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Just a couple.........
I have a associate in Canada, the Maritimes to be exact, that takes pride in keeping on "shed-yool." Schedule is important to me as well.
Our own President is always talking about Merkins in Merika.
signing out from Alanna, Jawja .....arm fixin' ta go bak ta werk.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, Scottish may not sound like Canadian but I'd swear that last year when I was there the Scottish lady when saying "roundabout" actually said "roondaboot."

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The "Mawidge" speech impediment is more prevalent in England than anywhere else. It borders on common, which is why you see so many UK comedy shows using it :)

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Our own President is always talking about Merkins in Merika.
I also was a bit confused when, after 9-11, one of his first actions was to announce his intention to conduct a war on Scarlett O'Hara's plantation. You know, Tara?

I caught on, in short order however. His accent is really no stranger than JFK's was, though, now is it? (Bostonians and Texans need not answer that rhetorical question.)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Jeff Kleist wrote:
What's "Mawidge"??? For "marriage"??? If so (and probably even if not) it's not a speech "impediment"! (dialect difference /= "speech impediment"!) British dialect r's, if that's what you're referring to, tend to be heavily "rounded" and more than a bit labialized (made with the lips), giving them that "Elmer Fudd"-effect.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Accents are as diverse in Canada as in the US. The rest of Canada can barely understand Newfoundlanders (Newfies).
Welcome to my world.... (though as usual, I will disreguard the stereotype that you can understand any of us)

None the less, growing up people regularly asked me if I was from "the mainland", because I had no accent. To this day it annoys me, but then again, at least they can understand me, where-as the "traditional" Newfoundlander can't be understood, even by their neighbors in many cases ( a very small portion actually have a thick accent, but it does stand out greatly, even to others from the province)...

And to further stereotypes, the people with the thick, non-sensical accents are usually from isolated outports :b

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
a very small portion actually have a thick accent, but it does stand out greatly, even to others from the province
I'm not from NF (NB actually) but I spent alot of my summer months through junior high and high school at atlantic region summer camps with kids from PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Newfoundland. We had a group leader one summer from St. John's and a fellow camper from Gander...it took us all a couple of days to get used to the speech from the guy from Gander, even our group leader. The problem was mostly how fast this guy spoke...and his heavy use of the word "buddy"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks