Do all Toshiba's have "ghost line" and "vertical line" problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Peake, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Jeff Peake

Jeff Peake Supporting Actor

I was very close to purchasing a 65HX81 recently. I saw it at Tweeter, thought the picture looked good.

Then I came home and found the HomeTheaterSpot. It seems that most everyone on the Toshiba forum is reporting ghost lines (which look like a severe form of Edge-Enhancement), and vertical lines (area of brightness which runs up the middle of the screen).

Do the toshiba owners on this forum have the same problems??? I will go back to tweeter, armed with this info and my copy of Video Essentials, to see if their floor models have these problems before I buy.

I am not considering Mits, as the excessive tweaking required to cure red-push on all inputs has turned me off. Pioneer (non-elite) is next on my list if the Tosh has too many problems.

Jeff

2. Alan Wood

Alan Wood Auditioning

Jeff,

I have had my 65H80 for just about a year now. I have not had any kind of ghosting problems like you are describing. I have done an ISF calibration on this set and when using a good sorce, it has a picture 2nd to none. Most retailers are selling out of these everywhere. Toshiba must be doing something right. My distributor informs me that they are out of the HX series and there is a large number of backorders.

Hope this helps in your decision... Good Luck.

Regards,

Alan (Chip) Wood

3. Chris Moreau

Chris Moreau Stunt Coordinator

I own the 50HX81, and I was a little reticent to buy it because of reading about the problems that you mentioned. Fortunately, I've seen absolutely no evidence of either on my set. I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier with it. Good luck.

4. Miguel Paredes

It seems to ME that the ghosting issue is limited the HX line because they convert 480 to 540p. It's up in the air right now it seems.

I have a 40h80 and have NO ghosting. Others with HXs report NO ghosting either, while others swear to it.

I think you should try it and see if it bothers you.

5. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I returned a 57HX81 w/ the "ghosts" in favor of a Sony 57HW40 - I'm very happy w/ the Sony.

The "ghosts" really bothered me on the Toshiba - I tried to ignore them and tried to love the set - but in the end I thought I should return it while I still was able to do so (within 30 days) and try out another set.

Don't let the "ghostsing" hold you back - but definitely speak with the place you are buying from about the return/exchange policy just in case you do find any problems on your Toshiba.

6. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

7. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jeff,
    Every TV has its set of shortcomings, some common to other brands/models, some unique.
    Note also that for a complaint aired on a brand/model, there could be a much larger population who don't have it. Just like everything else, problems get more air time than non-problems which tend to distort the satisfaction figures.
    As you can see, the problem is not present in all sets and not as prevalent as some folks think it is. They are not busy posting, they're busy watching and enjoying their sets. [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Errol

8. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

Let me chime in here for a bit since I have been heavily involved with this over at the Spot.

First some background:

There are at least two or three different "ghosting" problems with the Toshiba as follows:

1. Vertical Ghost Line. This is a diffuse vertical line (about 3/4-inch wide) and sort of whitish that is seen when the screen pans (hockey games, baseball games, etc) or on a very bright image (like a sky). This problem can be very obnoxious when it rears up. I saw it before I even knew the Spot existed and it drove me up the walls trying to figure out what the deal was. A search there revealed it goes back through several models and Toshiba has no fix for this! If you have this problem you need to get a refund.

2. Ghost Lines, Raster Ringing, Jailbars, etc. These are different than #1 because they are not diffuse, they show up in darkly lit scenes as greenish vertical lines top to bottom about a pencil width. With my set there were two at the left edge, one at the right edge and one running horizontal. Ditto on the refund.

3. Ghosting, Ringing of images. This is an offset ghost (about 1/8-inch) on any vertical dark to light transition to the right of the image. Its most easily seen on AVIA sharpness grids or other grids but will also be seen to the right of things on regular viewing when its a dark image on a light background. My opinion is that this degrades the set's ability to resolve full resolution but that's in dispute. Toshiba had no formal response to this for me. Since they could not fix #1 or #2 above it was moot.

After some fighting Toshiba agreed to refund my money for the set because they cannot fix the problem with the current models and do not intend to even try.

A higher up at Toshiba called me and basically said that the issues I and others are having with our sets CANNOT be repaired...so they are giving me a full refund. For a second I thought she was going to try and tell me that I was SOL.

The lady I spoke with indicated that they are well aware of all the ghosting, raster ringing, vertical lines, etc., but that it might not be a couple of years before there is a new production line that would allow them to address this! I thought that was an amazing statement.

She basically indicated that it seems that some just may not notice it or that it has degrees of severity. She also told me about some other issues that I did not even have (Moire). They are apparently going to simply issue refunds to anyone who pushes the issue with them. But you will have to go through their authorized local tech process, which takes time. They seemed well aware of the talk going around here and she indicated that they are definitely starting to feel the pain from it.

Brian