Do All Tosh RPTV's Do This?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HerbT, Nov 17, 2002.

1. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

My 50H82 just arrived Thursday. It's terrific, but a few times the picture went away for a brief moment, then faded back in, as if you'd turned the set off and back on. It even displayed the channel info. I don't know if this is normal, like a periodic self-reset, or if this is a problem. I will mention it to the tech who comes next week. (The onboard speakers went out an hour after setup, but I half-expected a sound bug after hearing of others' hissing speakers.) I've got the 4 year in-home service contract, so no worries, just curious.

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, neither of those should happen. I'd have them send you another unit.

Glenn

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

There is a known issue of the power going on and off on earlier models during their first few weeks. Eventually though it is supposed to stop. I take this set is only a few weeks old, then I do concur with Glen that u should just opt to replace it. 2 problems in a short period of time may mean u have a lemon.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I certainly don't think the reset thing is supposed to happen, but it does often enough. 9.9 times out of 10, it goes away within 6 months at the most. Definitely mention it to the technician, but it really isn't anything to worry about unless it happens very frequently or for more than a few months.

5. wayne-sun

wayne-sun Agent

Normal??? How many other things do you spend $2K - $3K on that spontaneously turnoff when brand new and have parts that don't work right out of the box? I have had my 50H82 for 3 months now and have never experienced any problems with it. Warranty or not I would have a new set sitting in my ht before I would accept a repaired one with "issues".

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Hey, I'm glad to hear your set is working to your satisfaction, but like I said, this 'problem' has been reported off and on for years now. It's not just Toshiba sets either and there is no repair is required - it goes away by itself.

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The first two samples of the Toshiba 40H80 that I got automatically turned off like you describe. I returned them, but for other more serious reasons that are probably related to the turning off problem. I'd return your sample ASAP, as this is NOT a good sign based on my experiences. My third sample never automatically turned off, and it has been flawless for a year and a half.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That was my reasoning too. I had a 40" WS from them and it never did that. I had a 'horizontal' problem with it later, but it was under warranty, but it still works fine and has over 20k hours on it.

My new 65" has been flawless so far too. (Keeping my fingers crossed)! If a new TV shuts off, something is wrong, and with a 2nd problem, I'd dump it quick!

Glenn

9. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

If your speakers went out, you have a defective set. However, many RPTVs will experience the "blackouts" during the first 100 hours or so as the CRTs are prone to arcing. This will go away as the CRTs break in.

KJP

10. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

Thanks for the input. I called Toshiba customer service yesterday out of curiosity, and was told that sometimes the tv's automatic shutoff would trip due to small voltage fluctuations. She asked if it was connected to a surge protectant 'power strip', and I answered 'yes, and nothing else connected to the strip flickered or anything'. She said the tv is more sensitive and I should try plugging it directly into the wall. Interesting, eh? Anyway, I'll discuss things with the service tech coming tomorrow and I haven't ruled out getting a replacement. Thanks, again.