do all THX certied titles sound good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

With my limited HT experience, when people talk about DTS, they talk about Saving Private Ryan, Hounting, and Gladiator. What're the THX cert. side of DVD equvalences? Do you think all THX cert. DVDs sound good since they're certified by THX? Any exception you noticed? I noticed most of Disney titles are THX certified, while I only have Toy Story 1/2, which sounds good to me.

2. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

If you are looking for another good demo disc which happens to also be THX stamped, check into 'Titan AE'

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

THX, in the home video sense, monitors the video and audio transfers of films and makes sure that they meet certain standards that they have set up. Most of the time, when you see a disc with the THX banner on it, the sound will be quite good. This doesn't mean that the sound will give your speakers a workout. I have the dvd of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD that Elite put out a while back and it's THX certified. It's also in mono. However, it's a beautiful-sounding mono track, richly deserving of the THX banner. As far as THX picture certification, there've been some recent films that have had the banner that have also had terrible edge enhancement. I can't recall the titles right now. Maybe someone can help me out?

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

no not all THX discs look or sound good. In fact there are plenty of THX DVD's that aren't very well done at all. True lies is one prime example but there are many that don't have what many would call a quality transfer.
    ------------------
    http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

True Lies, like Highlander, and many other titles people cite when saying THX is bad, was sourced from a THX-cert LASERDISC TRANSFER
    Because THX supervised the transfer of film to tape, it is THX Certified. The disc could be worse than a VCD in video quality, and it would still be able to use that banner
    Jeff Kleist

6. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

To answer your question, generally speaking, yes THX certified titles do sound good. However, that doesn't mean to say that there are not quality soundtracks that are not THX certified (as I'm sure you know.)
    True Lies sounds excellent IMHO, although it doesn't look good.

7. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    All of my THX cert DVD's sound VERY good...
    The Abyss
    T-2: UE
    Fantasia
    Fantasia 2000
    Fantasia shouldn't be THX cert though...it's not the best picture since Disney's pigheaded censoring destroyed a segment of animation that I happen to like.
    ------------------
    P.S.: There's no P.S.