do all recievers experience digital drop out

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CarlSt, Jan 11, 2004.

1. CarlSt

CarlSt Auditioning

I was wondering if many receivers have digital audio drop out while layer changes in a dvd movie. Also during extreme quiet times in movie. I have a sr5300. I am particularly looking for info on Denon 2803 or Marantz sr6300 or Yamaha 640.
    Thanks.

2. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

My Onkyo 601 doesn't do that. I only get drop out when a disk first spins up, usually only noticable with CD's when the first track starts, after that the other tracks don't do it.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

hmm my Harman/Kardon AVR-225 never did it.

4. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I am surprised you don't have the issue. HK 320/520, 325/525, and I had heard even the latest models still have this issue. I thought the lower models, did as well. Especialy on CDs. Are you using a digital connection to your CD player? The analog connection will not show the issue, but my CD player DACs suck(Sony cdp-cx335). My older Onkyo 575X didn't have that problem but it handled a lot less formats. I have heard that some brands do not have the problem. It is an annoyance, I wish HK would make go away.

JohnS

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    6300 does. My 8300 does not. Supposedly the 7300 does not, and I am not sure about the x400s.

6. PeterCB

PeterCB Agent

7300 does not.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

My old Sony DA50ES receiver used to do this during layer changes. However, my current Pioneer Elite 47TX does not experience any dropouts during layer changes or quiet passages.

8. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

Chris, I am pleasantly surprised as well about HK.

Yamaha 2300 doesnt drop out with Panny Rp-62 with optical connection.

9. Marcus Parham

Marcus Parham Auditioning

I have the problem with my marantz 8200 at the beginning of disks for about 3 seconds. It is hooked up to a pioneer elite dvd player. I do not have the problem with my Integra dtr6.3 receiver which is hooked up to a panasonic rp56 dvd player.

10. John Garcia

John
    An update is available for the 8200 that corrects this problem, essentially making it an 8300.

11. Marcus Parham

Marcus Parham Auditioning

I appreciate that info John Garcia and will doing the upgrade. [​IMG]

12. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Is the drop-out during a layer change caused by the DVD player? I always assumed the dro-out was due to the suspended signal from the player.

@Topher,

This initial "drop-out" you mentioned you get when you play CDs, could it be that you have your input mode set to "AUTO", as opposed to "Analogue" or "DTS"? I'm speaking out of Yamaha experience, Onkyo may have different terminology, but basically it's a feature to allow your receiver to decode "DTS" audio CDs (not to be confused with DVD-Video sound tracks). I know some older Yammies (my buddy's RX-V995 does this with DTS CDs, while my RX-V2200 does not). It could be that your receiver is spending some time determining what format it's receiving (either PCM, DTS, or analogue). Just a thought.

- Mike

13. John Garcia

John

I believe it depends on the player. With my Denon 2200, layer changes are nonexistent, so I would not know, but on my older Sony, the audio did not drop out during layer changes the way it did with most every DVD menu or chapter skip.

Also, I should note that it is not 100% gone, it still occurs with my 8300, however it is so infrequent and when it DOES occur, it is so brief it is almost not worth mentioning. In other words, I'm happy. [​IMG]

14. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

IMO, the last 2 guys are zeroing in on the bigger problem. The player is where the layer change pause really comes from. If you have a player that has none (due to a sufficient memory buffer), you'll never see a drop out on any receiver. If there is a pause, then yes, some receivers do hesitate a bit more than others. But overall, I believe that this is a player phenomena, not a receiver issue. (Now if you're talking CD player startup dropouts, that a different story. And clearly a receiver problem...)

15. John Garcia

John
    With this issue, it is quite difficult to place blame. Not all receivers have the problem, and not all players have the problem, and certain combinations are worse than others. When I had a Marantz CD player, I never had the problem via digital, but when it died and I found it was discontinued, my dealer offered me a Sony ES player instead - and with it, drop outs via digital. It has decent DACs, so analog was OK. All of my DVD players had this problem with my 6200, but none of them do with the 8300, which means the problem can be mitigated and/or designed out for the most part, but if you get a particular combination of gear, the problem may still occur.

16. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

John, I wasn't lucky enough with all the units I tried, with my HK520. Besides the Sony CD player, the CD dropout occured with a Sony DVD player, along with the HK FL8380 CD Player and HK DVD5. In fact, the behavior was the same in all, with the same source material [​IMG] Unfortunatly, I love the convenience of the large carasul 335, but the analog out is definatly a downgrade. Don't want to give up the HDCD processing, for the few disks that I have in that format, either. I love the HK, outside of this issue and doesn't bug me enough to have to upgrade.