Do ALL rear-projection HDTV's use 4:3 CRT's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanDinan, May 22, 2001.

1. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,
    I was just curious as to if all rear-projection HDTV's -whether they be in a 16:9 aspect or 4:3 aspect - Use 4:3 CRT's. Obviously, direct-view 16:9 sets are a 16:9 tube. Do newer 16:9 sets now use 3 separate 16:9 shaped CRT's, or are they all 4:3?
    Thanks!
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

2. Ken Donowho

Ken Donowho Auditioning

All projection CRT's are round. Projecting 4:3 or 16:9 is a product of the deflection yoke setup, in other words, its electronic. One simply uses more of the surface area of the CRT than the other.
    Ken

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

I have seen a few rectangular CRT's for projection TV sets recently, but they were 4:3. The lenses for them, too, were round.
    Using these tubes, a 16:9 projection TV has the equivalent of a letterboxed picture on the tube for full mode and a windowboxed picture on the tube for 4:3 mode!
    All the experts on this forum have said, "stay away from floor model RPTV's". If you are able to open up the cabinet and look inside at the tubes turned off, you may see a brownish stain on the tube faces outlining the picture area if the tubes have been burned by too high contrast.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

The CRT faces are rectangular, it's just the lenses that are round. I'm not sure if the 16:9 sets actually have 16:9 CRTs or not, though. I'm not about to take the lenses off my Mits 16:9 set to find out either! [​IMG]
    KJP

5. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Even the 16x9 sets use 4x3 crts.
    Tim

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

There are no 16:9 CRTs used in ANY projection devices. As Kevin posted, the lenses and lens assemblies are round while the CRTs are rectangular (some appear to be square).