Do all flat screens have geometry problems or just the Wegas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil L, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I'm looking at getting a new TV, leaning toward flat screen, debating between Toshiba and Sony Wega.

One thing that makes me nervous is all the posts with people saying they are on their 2nd or 3rd Wega because of geometry problems or brightness problems, or ...

Are there a lot of bad Wegas or is it just a few people with really bad luck?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Inherent problem with most of the flat tubes out there.

Be it Toshiba, JVC, Sony, etc.

Cannot be corrected in general, so choose wisely.

Regards

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I am very happy with my 36XBR450. I think that most people are very satisfied with the Sony Wega line, especially the XBRs. Look around at some review sites and check at some stores or friends' houses.

4. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I have no problem at all with my Wega. Check them out at the store and see what you think.

5. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Phil,
    The problem is inherant in all flat screen sets. It's kind of a crap shoot whether you will get one that is satisfactory for you. Don't expect perfect geometry on any of them. My suggestion (as someone who went through 3 Wegas) is to get them to open the set in the store and audition it so you can see whether it has an acceptable picture for you. Don't just go by the look of the demo model. Of course, if you get a 27 inch or smaller set it won't be too much of a problem to bring it back. Just don't take a 32 inch or larger set sight unseen. It can be a real pain lugging those things around [​IMG]
    Good luck.
    BTW, Sony is introducing a new line of Wegas very soon so you might want to hold out and see what the new models offer.[​IMG]

6. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    How about the 27 inch Akai flat screen? it seems to be highly recommended here, but I'm basically leary of buying a flat screen because they seem to be very high maintenance and difficult to find a good one.

what are the geometry and other problems inherant to flat screens (pics anyone?) and will nonvideo philes notice them, or do you need a magnifying glass to find it on a twenty seven inch tv like with edge enhancement?

Adam

7. Roel_S

Roel_S Agent

I just recently bought the Samsung TXL2791F and I'm very happy with it. It took 2 months of research and going back and forth and looking at the Sony, Toshiba, and Panasonic and the Samsung by far is better. Better price, better quality, better design, and not to mention weight less than the WEGAs. It doesn't have any geometry problem whatsoever. Watching regular TV and digital cable is almost the same on the TV. The picture is really clear.

8. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Adam_S

Whether or not you will notice the geometry faults really depends on how severe the warp is and/or how picky you are. For example, the last set I had had a dip from left to right, which was especially noticeable when watching letterboxed movies. It really bugged me but, although a friend of mine noticed it, he didn't seem to mind. It's all a matter of degree. The Samsung's have been reported by many to have excellent geometry so maybe they have better quality control than Sony?? I have my doubts but I am, admittedly, quite picky.

9. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

One thing I've noticed with all flat tubes is the convergence. It's out on the left and right 10-20% of the screen (i.e. instead of seeing white, you clearly see red, next to blue, next to green). Every single flat tube I've seen has been like this (including the 36XBR250 I used to own).